The Commercial Leasing Manager will be responsible for the development and implementation of property revenue initiatives as well as providing expertise in leading negotiations & managing real estate transactions for the purpose of VIA Rail’s portfolio of railway station properties for all types of real estate & leasing transactions and agreements, relying on best & industry practices, established policies, procedures, guidelines and protocols and guided by the Corporation’s overall objectives. Responsibilities include the development of strategic plans, business cases and feasibility studies required to support business initiatives, opportunities and maximize potential property revenues.
- Develop & implement revenue generating programs, real estate strategies and initiatives for VIA’s portfolio of station properties through various opportunities such as development, leasing, paid parking, concessions, events, advertising and other revenue generating initiatives, shared-use partnership agreements or divestment.
- Support with preparation of market & financial analysis evaluation, risks and liability assessments and global business cases for all recommended short- or long-term proposals.
- Manage & lead negotiations for all leasing transactions agreements & renewals and other revenue type agreements.
- Prepare and/or oversee preparation and approval process of leases and revenue agreements, letters of intent and licenses and other similar legal documents.
- Coordinate / obtain legal approval via internal legal department and Oracle contract system
- Manage & lead negotiations for all types of property transactions (eg. Community partnerships, Sale or transfers, lease, easements, etc) and lead the preparation of necessary business case analysis, feasibility studies and/or assessments required to successfully complete transactions and/or to obtain necessary internal and external stakeholder and VIA executive approvals.
- Manage the administration (eg. track expiry dates, renewals, terminations and rental increases and preparation of notices to tenants, as required, on a timely basis) of all leases (VIA tenants or VIA as lessee) & real estate transaction agreements (commercial kiosks, concessions, & office space in stations, administration offices, land,etc) with the support of internal and external resources.
- Review and assess existing leases and revenue contracts to ensure legal obligations, rights, contract performance, indexation and revenue expectations are met or maximized as per contract.
- Work collaboratively with internal property managers and with external private and multi level government stakeholders as appropriate.
- Prepare and issue RFPs for revenue initiatives or alternatively or manages external professional services.
- Prepare operating annual revenue budget.
- University degree in business or property management in combination with another related designation in leasing, property management or real estate;
- 5 to 7 years of relative experience in real estate and leasing transactions with a clear broad knowledge and understanding of the complexities of real estate industry and transaction management with diverse stakeholders;
- Strong skills in tactical planning and negotiations;
- Excellent leadership, managerial and strategic planning skills;
- Must be rigorous, results oriented and flexible – able to work in a complex, changing environment with multiple tasks;
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills;
- Strong oral & written communication skills and effective business acumen;
- Demonstrated commitment to operate for a service-oriented company;
- Demonstrated knowledge of market trends, market rents, market conditions, understanding principles of market value.
VIA Rail thanks all applicants for their interest, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. VIA Rail is an employment-equity employer and encourages all qualified candidates to apply. VIA Rail Canada is proud to be a military friendly employer.