About Queen's University
Queen’s University is the Canadian research intensive university with a transformative student learning experience. Here the employment experience is as diverse as it is interesting. We have opportunities in multiple areas of globally recognized research, faculty administration, engineering & construction, athletics & recreation, power generation, corporate shared services, and many more.
We are committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace and welcome applications from individuals from equity seeking groups such as women, racialized/visible minorities, Indigenous/Aboriginal peoples, persons with a disability, persons who identify in the LGBTQ+ community and others who reflect the diversity of Canadian society.
Come work with us!
Reporting to the Director, and receiving day-to-day supervision from the Office Manager, the Communications Assistant supports the Centre’s management team in assisting with the development, coordination, execution and evaluation of strategic communications and brand management activities. The Communications Assistant will create promotional material and other content designed to highlight the profile of the Centre for International and Defence Policy (CIDP) and promote its projects, research and knowledge-sharing activities to diverse internal and external audiences.
The schedule for this position may require the incumbent to work outside normal business hours, including evenings and weekends, and occasional travel overnight for conferences and other events that are outside of Kingston, according to centre needs.
- Coordinate and support the development and implementation of communication strategies to increase the profile of the Centre for International and Defence Policy and promote its projects, research and knowledge-sharing activities internal and external to Queen’s, working with the Director, Manager and Project Leads, external stakeholders, and University Communications and Marketing.
- Assist in the development of the CIDP social media strategy, researching and advising on social media trends and opportunities. Recommend approaches for strategic brand management and engagement initiatives, ensuring compliance with Queen’s social media guidelines. Review and regularly report on associated analytics.
- Assist in maintaining CIDP websites, and social media tools to ensure that they are fresh, dynamic, functional, relevant and inclusive of CIDP’s varying services.
- Research and define measurement criteria for evaluating effectiveness of communications initiatives and recommend changes for future improvement
- Proactively identify, develop and distribute key messages to stakeholders and external audiences via media releases, videos, newsletters and blogs, profiles, etc.
- Write and edit promotional material and other content (photos, short news items, tweets, videos, LinkedIn) for print publication and digital communication, adhering to Queen’s Visual Identity, for CIDP’s websites and various social media (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, etc.) and provide guidance to others on these protocols.
- Create and maintain electronic distribution lists.
- Assist with developing and updating brochures, newsletters and other outreach materials, in paper and electronic formats, and distribute to professional communities, as appropriate.
- Assist in the coordination of social media tactics for events and monitors event-related social media activities, ensuring alignment with Queen’s Visual identity standards. Post approved news stories, event notices and photos/videos to social media including but not limited to Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, and LinkedIn; participates and monitors social media activity at events; responds to questions via social media; and maintains all aspects of the Centre’s Facebook pages.
- Other duties as required in support of CIDP
- Minimum two-year post-secondary program, preferably in communications and marketing.
- Experience working in a post-secondary environment an asset.
- Bilingual in French and English - written and oral.
- Excellent bilingual writing and editing skills demonstrated through relevant experience.
- Demonstrated experience in developing and implementing social media campaigns, creating and publishing online content (e.g. websites, blog, etc.). Thorough knowledge of social media trends and best practices.
- Experience in design and production of web print publications.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office applications and web content management systems (CMS) required. Familiarity with Google Analytics, Twitter Analytics, Facebook Insights, and YouTube Analytics considered an asset.
- Knowledge of university policies, procedures and systems is an asset.
- Consideration may be given to an equivalent combination of education and relevant experience.
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills in both English and French. Capable of writing to various audiences on various platforms, understanding best practices in web design and social media use. Solid market research and analytical skills to collect process and summarize data.
- Strong interpersonal and communications skills to deal with a diverse group of individuals internal and external to the University.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills, with the ability to multi-task and work under pressure.
- Strong customer service and relationship building skills with a proven ability to respond to client requests quickly and professionally, demonstrating tact and diplomacy.
- Strong results orientation to work independently and with minimal supervision, taking initiative as needed.
- Effective copy writing and editing skills with strong attention to detail. Ability to exercise discretion and maintain confidentiality.
- Determine content and format for various communications, website and social media presence and identify the best method to use.
- Recommend most efficient process in developing identified marketing and communication initiatives, working and providing recommendations to the Director (CIDP), Manager, Project Leads and Fellows as necessary.
- Determine appropriate and necessary content for websites to maintain freshness of material through proactive updates as needed basis and in consultation with the Director (CIDP), Manager, and Project Leads.
- Decide on how best to balance time and priorities to ensure responsibilities are effectively completed and in accordance with required timelines.
Employment Equity and Accessibility Statement
The University invites applications from all qualified individuals. Queen’s is committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace and welcomes applications from women, visible minorities, Aboriginal Peoples, persons with disabilities, and persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity. In accordance with Canadian Immigration requirements, priority will be given to Canadian citizens and permanent residents.
The University provides support in its recruitment processes to applicants with disabilities, including accommodation that takes into account an applicant's accessibility needs. Candidates requiring accommodation during the recruitment process are asked to contact Human Resources at email@example.com.
Attention To Detail