Sherman Law LLP is an established and respected firm of over 40 years in Waterloo Region. We focus and have expertise in family law for every kind of modern family including mediation, collaborative family law, and litigation. The firm provides services in estate planning (Wills, Powers of Attorney, Trusts), estate administration, small business & corporate law, and commercial leasing & property management.
We are seeking an experienced Legal Assistant/Law Clerk to assist in our Kitchener law firm. We are looking for a candidate with strong customer service skills, administrative and organizational skills, ability to work as part of a team, and the ability to prioritize time effectively in a fast-paced environment.
- Fluent in English both in oral and written communication, with an understanding of related legal terminology and office procedures;
- Minimum 3-5 years of related law clerk experience in Family Law;
- Exposure to other areas of practise including Estate Planning and Estates would be of strong benefit;
- Knowledge of rules of practise, including the Family Law Rules and the Rules of Civil Procedure is a must;
- Working knowledge of the Family Law Act, Divorce Act, Children's Law Reform Act and related legislation;
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, with the ability to communicate effectively and comfortably with clients, team members, and counsel through phone, email, and in-person attendance;
- Have a dicta-typing speed of at least 60 WPM with knowledge of SpeechExec Pro digital dictation software;
- Strong attention to detail, including the ability to proof for correct spelling and grammar;
- Must be able to work independently with little supervision;
- Must be well organized, a quick learner, and be a proactive professional with a positive attitude, friendly disposition, and ability to complete work as assigned by prioritizing task, workload, and time;
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office Applications including Word, Excel, Outlook, Internet, DivorceMate, and PCLaw;
- Exposure to Applications including Estate-a-Base and Fast Company is of benefit;
- Enjoys a variety of challenging work, and takes pride and satisfaction in producing meticulous work product;
- Legal Assistant/Law Clerk diploma is required; and,
- Advanced post-secondary education is a benefit.
Responsibilities and tasks, including but not limited to:
- Proving administrative and legal support to two lawyers;
- Filing, photocopying, scanning, faxing, etc.;
- Communicating with clients, court, and counsel;
- Maintaining calendar for lawyers in Outlook;
- Scheduling meetings, court appearances, consultations;
- Tracking deadlines and maintaining our bring forward and follow-up system;
- Proofreading, drafting, editing and preparing legal documents and correspondence (including pleadings, motion records, financial statements, net family property statements, case conference and settlement conference briefs, trial management conference briefs, certificates of financial disclosure, affidavits of documents, etc.);
- Have experience assisting the lawyers in the preparation of separation agreements, parenting plans, and marriage contracts;
- Prepare estate planning including Wills, Trusts, and Powers of Attorney;
- Maintain dockets and and have familiarity in the preparation of accounts in PC Law;
- Assisting with reception duties as required; and,
- Some work related local travel and attendance will be required, with access to a vehicle and a valid driver's license.
Salary/Benefits: We offer a competitive salary based on experience, benefits, continuing education courses paid by the firm, and paid vacation.
We offer flexible working hours, a respectful working environment, and we value time to spend with family outside of working hours. We provide a friendly and collegial work environment to grow and further develop your career. This is a full-time permanent contract position, but we will consider a part-time position with flexible hours for those qualified candidates.
Interested applicants may forward an application including a cover letter and references in confidence to the attention of Mr. Aubrey Sherman, Managing Partner by email.
No phones calls, please. No recruiters.
Sherman Law LLP is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to building a diverse workforce that reflects the diversity of our community. We strive for an inclusive, respectful and supportive work environment that embraces our differences and values the experiences and perspectives of all of our employees. We are committed to providing a healthy, safe and comfortable environment for all our employees, clients and visitors.
All applications will be held in strict confidence. We thank all applicants for their interest in this position and our firm, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please. Those applicants without the required skills/credentials, will not be considered.
Job Types: Full-time, Part-time, Contract
Salary: $40,000.00-$50,000.00 per year
- Dental Care
- Extended Health Care
We provide all staff with PPE equipment including face coverings, masks, shields, and gloves as required. Our law firm continues to be closed to the public and personal attendance of clients has been reduced to only essential visits.
- family law legal support: 3 years (Required)
- estate planning (Wills, Trusts, Powers of Attorney): 3 years (Preferred)
- Kitchener, ON (Preferred)
- Driver's license (Required)