Position: Payroll Specialist & Administrator
Department: Human Resources
Location: Calgary, AB
Position Type: 32 hours a week, Temporary
(This is a 18 month maternity leave coverage, with the possibility of 1-2 months extension)
Reports to: Global HR Director
Overall Statement of Responsibility:
Reporting directly to the Global HR Director, the Payroll Specialist & Administrator is responsible for general day to day administrative support to the HR department (US & Canada) and all related functions which include the following; payroll, benefits administration, employee letters & updates.
- Administration and processing of the organization’s Canadian and US semi-monthly payroll cycles
- Input data for new hires, terminations, status changes, commission payments, garnishments, etc.
- Review payroll transactions for accuracy and completeness.
- Submit US 401(k) contribution and loan payments in a timely manner
- Act as resource to staff on payroll related issues
- Create/run reports through ADP/Reportsmith (Canada and US) systems for use in analysis and payroll/accounting processes.
- Administer year-end payroll process and issuance of tax forms, including 1099s for contractors and other year-end forms as required.
- Manage state withholding & UI accounts
- Manage and assist employees with electronic pay statement accounts
- Contact for Revenue Canada, Service Canada, and IRS for all basic requests.
- Process terminations (including calculating outstanding vacation pay and expenses) and prepare ROE’s and other related forms in accordance with applicable employment standards
- Prepare cheque requests when necessary and enter information into GL for finance after each payroll.
- General HR Administration
- Review & preparation of the following formal letters; new position offers, internal employee change requests, confirmation of employment, department & salary changes, etc.
- Preparation of weekly reports for Canada and US employee changes, new hires, and terminations
- Point of contact for Verification of Employment requests from outside parties.
- Maintain all manual and computerized employee files, ensuring that all information is updated on a daily basis.
- Keep Canadian and US HRIS/Sharepoint system and HR drive updated
- Track & file employee performance reviews
- Track, administer, and prepare formal letter for vacation increases based on employee’s years of service.
- Administer maternity leave, STD, and LTD cases and general leaves of absence
- Manage Worker’s Compensation programs (US and Canada) and filing of claims.
- Participate in communication of on-going and new HR programs and initiatives
- Assist managers and employees with information about policies, job duties, work conditions, wages, and benefits
- Serve as a link between management and employees by handling questions, interpreting and administering contracts and policies, while striving to resolve work related issues
- General assistance with all employee requests through emails, or in person.
- Work with accounts payable to ensure all invoices are paid in a timely manner
- Track and monitor foreign workers, ensuring SIN and work permits are kept up-to-date
- Work with EMEA, APAC, and Guest-tek’s subsidiary’s HR team(s) as needed
- Entering all new employee additions, changes, and terminations into Guest-tek’s benefit programs for US and Canada including US 401(k) Retirement Savings Plan.
- Point-of-contact for all Canadian and US benefit related inquiries from employees including leaves of absence, STD, LTD, etc.
- Preparing monthly benefit cost by department report for accounts payable team and ensuring monthly invoices are correct and paid accordingly
- Primary contact for benefit carriers
- Ensure US carrier connections via payroll run smoothly and monitor for errors
- Manage US 401(k) plan and ensure compliance reports and year-end filings are completed on-time.
- Manage yearly open enrollment process for US employees.
§ Post-secondary degree/certificate in related area.
§ Minimum of 2 to 5 years of Human Resources experience including Payroll and Benefits administration experience.
§ Knowledge of CDN and US ADP would be an asset.
§ Ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality and professionalism in all interactions.
§ Excellent computer skills in a Microsoft Windows Environment.
§ General knowledge of the Employment Standards Act.
§ Possess excellent written and verbal communication skills.
§ Possess an aptitude for working with numerical data
§ Strong organizational skills, detailed oriented and ability to meet deadlines.
§ Works well in fast-paced environment.
Job Types: Full-time, Part-time, Temporary
Pay: $47,319.00 - $67,525.00 per year
- Payroll: 2 years (Required)
- Temporarily due to COVID-19