A rewarding career helping maintain the safety of our healthcare workers, visitors and patients
Protection Services at Island Health is a growing department with a secure future. As a Protection Services Officer no two days will ever be the same. You’ll be a front-line essential service worker and use your excellent verbal de-escalation skills to calm emotional situations, resolve incidents, and remove barriers to excellent medical care. You’ll always maintain confidentiality and discretion when handling private information, and never forget to smile while providing incredible customer service. You’ll work closely every day with the clinical teams in ER, Psychiatry, as well as with local police and BC Ambulance crews.
Is this for you?
- Do you have the COURAGE to step up and offer help to people in emotional crises?
- Do you ASPIRE for excellence in customer service?
- Do you RESPECT all people regardless of their race, colour, creed, ethnicity, sexuality, or socio-economic status?
- Do you have great EMPATHY towards people struggling with injuries, diseases, addictions, and mental health challenges?
- Do you have a valid BC Security Worker License with Advanced Security Training endorsement?
- Do you enjoy working the flexible schedules of a casual or part-timer, who can pick up extra shifts when it works for you; or the condensed work weeks (12-hour shifts) with five or six consecutive days off every week on our full-time lines?
What we offer:
Sense of community - Being part of a tight-knit team with trust in each other, and shared goals of safety for all staff & clients. All departments working together for the best patient outcomes possible.
Meaningful work – every day you will protect patients, nurses, and doctors, prevent violence, and eliminate risks to safety in the healthcare environment and you will see the difference you’ve made.
Competitive wages - this position currently pays $24.61/hour
Promotion from within – All of our supervisors, Team Leaders, and Managers once started out as casual officers
Excellent Benefits - Extended Health & Dental Benefits, Municipal Pension and Recognition Programs, company paid training & uniforms
Career growth - Many of our Officers move on to careers in policing, finding their experience in Protection Services provided them with a huge advantage towards that goal.
If you are ready for a rewarding challenge, apply now.
Job Type: Casual
Salary: $24.61 per hour
- Company pension
- Dental care
- Extended health care
- Flexible schedule
- Paid time off
- Vision care
Flexible Language Requirement: