Do you have a passion for connecting people, a belief in the power of literacy and the desire to play a significant role in the continued growth of an organization? ONE TO ONE Literacy is seeking a dynamic and energetic part-time Program Assistant to support our program delivery to students in North Vancouver
This position presents an exciting opportunity to grow with an established but expanding non-profit and support a powerful mission. Every year, ONE TO ONE pairs more than 3,000 emerging readers with volunteer tutors in elementary schools around the province. For half an hour, twice a week, these students work on their reading in an environment where it’s okay to take risks, make mistakes and learn at their own pace.
As a Program Assistant, you will report to the Program Manager and play an instrumental role in ensuring the smooth, consistent delivery of our literacy program. The successful candidate will engage teachers at program schools, support volunteer tutors and monitor ONE TO ONE program delivery. As an ambassador of our program in the school community, you will build and maintain strong working relationships with a wide range of stakeholders and partners including teachers, principals, volunteer tutors and ONE TO ONE program staff.
The Program Assistant will be an important part of ONE TO ONE’s success and will provide:
School (Coordinator) Support
- Monitor service delivery and support the School Coordinator to ensure that the program is being implemented in accordance with ONE TO ONE’s mission
- Support the School Coordinator by providing program information and advice, and assist with tutor scheduling, timetables, and student records as requested
- Coordinate with the School Coordinator to provide a school orientation and/or appreciation event(s) to volunteer tutors
- Act as an ambassador of the ONE TO ONE program within the school community
- Ensure volunteer tutors feel motivated, valued and supported by communicating with them on a regular basis
- Provide program support to volunteers as needed, such as assistance on how to retain students’ attention, how to play literacy games, and suggestions for other resources that might help them in their volunteer role
- Provide regular opportunities for volunteer tutors in the same school to get to know each other, share best practices and problem solve
- Contribute to ONE TO ONE’s volunteer recruitment, training, management and engagement efforts
- Enable the program manager to make strategic program decisions by maintaining accurate program data and records
- Work and foster strong relationships with program stakeholders by taking a proactive approach to conflict resolution and problem solving
- Identify areas of continuous program improvement from operational and service standpoints
- Participate in regular team meetings and check-ins (either in person or electronically)
- Ensure program materials are in complete and good condition
- Maintain accurate and confidential records and files
Please include a cover letter and resume in your application.
Job Types: Part-time, Contract
Salary: $21.00 /hour
- non-profit: 1 year (Preferred)