Summary of Responsibilities
Reporting to the Club Coordinator, the Programmer has a range of responsibilities that includes program development and delivery of educational, recreational, and social-based activities for children and youth to achieve BGC Outcomes. The Programmer is also involved in the supervision of part-time staff and volunteers.
· Supports the Club Coordinator in overseeing the day-to-day operations of the assigned site.
· Plans, organizes, and implements recreational, social and/or educational activities and programs that achieve BGC Outcomes of positive social skills, healthy behavior, leadership and lifelong learning to to meet the needs of the children/youth who visit the Club programs.
· Ensures that the physical, emotional, social, safety, well-being, first aid, and nutritional needs of participants are met within BGC program standards, guidelines, and policies.
· Plans and implements events for Club Members and their families such as parent information nights, Halloween, social events, and day camps.
· Provides behaviour management techniques and other best practices as outlined in the training segments.
· Assists in the supervision and scheduling of staff.
· May act on behalf of the Coordinator during vacation leaves, etc.and works as frontline in-program staff as needed.
· Ensures that accurate program records, reporting forms, etc. are filled out in a timely manner and maintained with confidentiality in mind at all times.
· Assists in Activity Leader, Junior Leader, and Volunteer orientations.
· Builds relationships with children, youth, parents, and community members.
· Monitors safe work practices of all staff and participants.
· Communicates regularly with the Club Coordinator on program activities
· Works with the Club Coordinator to carry out safety and emergency procedures.
· Works as front line staff as needed to support Club Members.
· Ensures that the facility is clean and tidy at the end of each program session, and ensures that the facility is locked and the alarm set at the end of the day.
· Other duties as required.
· Clean Criminal Record Check (Vulnerable Sector)
· A degree in recreation, social services, child and youth care, or equivalent (a diploma in recreational programming, child and youth care or community service worker with experience in supervision and program planning).
· Experience working with children and/or youth in a social recreational program setting.
· Ability to work independently as well as effectively with program staff and the ability to form relationships with parents and children who attend the programs.
· Proven behaviour management experience.
· Demonstrated teamwork and leadership skills with the ability to problem solve and find resolutions.
· Excellent oral, written, facilitation and interpersonal communication skills.
· Proven time and general management skills.
· Demonstrated ability to use a variety of computer software to generate and exchange information.
· Willingness to work flexible hours including weekends and evenings.
· A Class IV license (process must be initiated within 30 days and obtained within 6 months).
· Valid Standard First Aid (16 hr. course) and CPR certification (must be obtained within 3 months).
· Non-Violent Crisis Intervention (CPI) training (must be obtained within 3 months).
· Participates in BGC’s Put the Child First training.
· Second language and experience working with culturally diverse people are assets.
This is a full time (37.5 hours per week) salary position with benefits after six months.
Thank you in advance to all persons who apply for this position. Please note that only those selected for interview will be contacted.
BGC recognizes the value and importance of building and sustaining a culturally diverse environment and commits to intentional efforts to reflect that (along with our values) in all that we do. BGC has always been committed to diversity, and we believe that articulating our commitment to it in this way will support the ongoing evolution of this in our work going forward.
For employees, participants, volunteers, donors, and the community, we demonstrate that commitment through:
· Recruitment, employment, development, and promotion practices that are barrier free
· Encouraging representatives of diverse identities (race, national or ethnic origin, language, spiritual beliefs, age, gender, sexual identity, marital status, family structure, political beliefs, mental or physical ability, or socioeconomic status) to apply for available positions, participate in programs, and/or engage with BGC
· Making decisions based solely on an individual’s qualifications, merit, performance, and organizational needs
Application deadline: 2020-08-24
Job Type: Permanent