Employment Opportunity for
Who Are We?
The Jessica Martel Memorial Foundation is a not-for-profit that operates Jessie’s House, a 35-bed stage one emergency shelter for survivors of domestic violence located in Morinville, AB (20 KM north of St. Albert). Jessie’s House is low-medium barrier and follows trauma-informed practices while serving Sturgeon County including CFB Edmonton, St. Albert, Alexander First Nation, and surrounding communities lacking shelter services. Visit www.jmmf.ca to learn more about who we are and what we do.
Employment Type: Full-time and Casual Position are available
Work Hours: 12-hour shifts with a rotating schedule of Days and Overnights
Salary: $23.79/hour plus night shift differential
Application Deadline: May 17, 2020
Start Date: TBA
The Client Advocate (Crisis Support Worker) reports directly to the Director of Programs and Services and works closely with other Client Advocates, Child Support Workers, Case Manager, and Outreach Workers. Client Advocates are clients’ first point of contact. They are the people that answer their call when they need help, they are the people that answer the doors with a friendly smile and often, they are the ones with whom clients share stories they haven’t told their closest friend. The Client Advocate must understand all principles of trauma informed practices and work to embed these principals into our shelter culture.
· Follow the policies and procedures of Jessie’s House and the principals of trauma-informed care.
· Complete need assessment for client intake.
· Conduct client admissions into the shelter
· Review expectations of the shelter program, policies and procedures and orient client and their family to facility ensuring fire exits and procedure are noted.
· Complete all required shelter forms for intakes and discharges, document relevant incidents and observations in individual client files each shift.
· Provide emotional support, information, referrals and crisis intervention.
· Advise clients of available options and provide information regarding appropriate community agencies and resources.
· Perform other related duties as required
· Diploma or degree in Social Work, Psychology or other relevant credentials or combination of related education and experience.
· One-year experience working in a shelter environment is preferred.
· Knowledge of family violence and skills in crisis intervention.
· Training and demonstrated experience with Trauma-Informed practices.
· The ability to deal with other agencies and services in an effective and professional manner.
· Working knowledge of the Child, Youth and Family Enhancement Act.
· Lay knowledge of family law and legal issues.
· Understanding of cultural differences and the role culture plays in domestic violence.
· Self-motivated and able to work with minimal supervision.
· Valid St. John's Ambulance First Aid Certificate and ASIST
· Documented proof of a clear Criminal Record Check and Child Abuse Registry Check.
· Working primarily in an emergency shelter environment in the town of Morinville.
· For Full-time: Working 44 hour work week rotating schedule of days, overnight and weekends shifts are included. For Casual: 11-hour shifts days, with one unpaid lunch break, overnight and weekends as needed on an on-call basis
· Working in a high stress, high pressure environment.
Why You’ll Want To Work With Us?
As a new shelter, you’ll be involved in shaping organizational culture and have ongoing training and opportunities for advancement within the organization. We provide a competitive salary and benefits for full-time staff. We are also committed to work-life balance, emphasizing self-care.
How to Apply?
Send a current resume and cover letter, quoting the position title in the subject line. Include 2 professional references.
Job Types: Full-time, Casual, Permanent
Salary: $23.79 /hour
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
Salary: $23.79 /hour