Corporate Office Careers
Merchandising TF Community & Field
0 - 10%
Part Time or Full Time:
Our family of 123,000 employees and franchise affiliates share a collective passion for delivering exceptional shopping experiences and amazing food to all our customers. Our mission is to nurture the things that make life better – great experiences, families, communities, and our employees.
A proudly Canadian company, we started in a small town in Nova Scotia but we are now in communities of all sizes across this great country. With over 1500 stores in all 10 provinces, you may know us as Sobeys, Safeway, IGA, Foodland, FreshCo, Thrifty Foods, Lawton’s Drug Stores or another of our great banners but we are all one extended family.
All career opportunities will be open a minimum of 5 business days from the date of posting.
Sobeys is full of exciting opportunities and we are always looking for bright new talent to join our team! We currently have a full-time opportunity for a Category Manager - Grocery based out of our office in Victoria, BC, or Missisagua Ontario, depending on the successful candidate's location.
In this role, the successful candidate will:
Work with Merchandising Services, Replenishment, Marketing, and Operations to resolve category issues
Work with US Sourcing office to understand product issues & opportunities
Work with Innovation and Development to implement new Category initiatives
Execute vendor negotiations with Quebec and Related Businesses to ensure national buying power
Execute Commercial programs and Marketing programs in coordination with Operations, Private Label and Marketing
Manage implementation of local products with Field Merchandising & Operations
Work with Replenishment on in-stock inventory
Participate in banner led show and sells, market visits and some industry events
Work with HMR Category Merchants to identify store level efficiency opportunities
Lead Category Coordinators
- Coach, develop and empower the Category Coordinators
- Deliver against KPIs to measure success based on category targets
Manage category plans
- Develop Category Plans that support the banner’s strategy with a focus on generating sales and improved category performance relative to the market
- Communicate category plans to all stakeholders including leadership, other functional areas and vendor partners
- Execute category plans by delivering against the category pricing, promotion, assortment, and merchandising plans that support our strategies & financial requirements
- Identify new opportunities from multiple sources including field merchandising, operations, vendor partners, market visits, etc.
- Manage for optimal mix of margin
- Manage performance targets
- Manage category plans for the following banners (as applicable): Sobeys, Foodland, Safeway, IGA (West), Sobeys Urban Express and for select grocery categories in the IGA Extra/IGA and community banners of Quebec
Manage category performance
- Track, be knowledgeable, & communicate actual category performance versus budget, target and/or forecast
- Oversee action plans to meet forecasted financials
Manage the execution of merchandising categories
- Build vendor relationships to enable effective negotiations
- Manage the category promotion-pricing strategies and ad planning process, delivering optimal customer value and margin performance for categories
- Manage interactions with Quebec & Related Businesses
- Build relationships with store operations/franchisees
- Build relationships with other functional areas (i.e. Merchandising Support Services, Operations, Finance, Replenishment, Marketing, etc.)
Commissary (as applicable)
- Identify product opportunity production methods
- Be the subject matter expert in the Nutritional Fact Table (NFT) creation, regulatory, and menu labeling
- Own the commissary product development
- Actively research and identify innovation within the food service and retail industry and communicate key findings to Fresh Category Management and other functional areas as appropriate
- Work with Fresh Category Merchants to develop a 1, 3, & 5 year strategy that will need to be integrated into current commissary production and planning
- Develop future commissary model strategy
- An Undergraduate Degree and a minimum of 8 years of relevant experience
- Strong Negotiation skills
- 3 years experience in purchasing, merchandising, retail, manufacturing, or a corporate environment
- 3 years experience in product development or product innovation (Commissary)
This is an outstanding opportunity to join a leading Canadian company with a clear vision and focus. If you feel that this describes the kind of work you want to do, and you are excited about what Sobeys has to offer, then we look forward to reviewing your application. Please ensure that you take the time to ensure your profile shows us why you’re the most qualified applicant for the role.
Sobeys offers our employees many valuable benefits such as:
- Growing organization
- Competitive salary
- Pension plan
- Flexible health and dental benefits plan (eligible employees)
- Ongoing Training & Development
- Flexible Work Arrangements
- Opportunity for internal mobility to other departments and/or promotions (for employees who are strong performers)
Sobeys is committed to accommodating applicants with disabilities throughout the hiring process and will work with applicants requesting accommodation at any stage of this process.
While all responses are appreciated only those being considered for interviews will be acknowledged.
We appreciate the interest from the Staffing industry however respectfully request no calls or unsolicited resumes from Agencies.