Before applying please review our company website: www.phs.ca
Your application MUST include a cover letter identifying the position title you are applying for, expressed interest in the position and the qualities and competencies that would make you a suitable candidate.
Resumes without a cover letter will not be considered.
Within the context of a therapeutic community care model and in accordance with the BC College of Nursing Professionals (BCCNP) LPN standards of professional practice, Code of Ethics, and the established vision and values of the organization, located in a housing facility or in a primary health care clinic, provides primary health care services to residents/clients with a wide variety and complexity of acute and chronic illnesses/diseases including communicable diseases, addictions, mental health and general health issues. Performs physical, addiction and mental health assessments, refers residents to the physician and/or the psychiatrist for further examination, administers prescribed treatments and medications. Observes, monitors, evaluates and documents progress, symptoms, and behavioral changes and performs a variety of health care interventions. Provides treatment and recovery support using health promotion and harm reduction approaches. Works collaboratively with internal team, other health care professionals, resident, family and community. Provides empathetic, compassionate and nonjudgmental care to all residents and patients, grounded in a harm reduction, strength based and community-oriented philosophy of care. The LPN Reports to the Nurse Manager.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provides primary care to residents presenting with a wide variety of and complexity of illnesses and diseases including communicable diseases, addictions, mental health, and general health conditions. Performs physical, addictions, and mental health assessments, collects specimens, refers residents to physician and/ or psychiatrist for further examination, administer prescribed /medications; according to protocols and makes appropriate adjustments.
- Establishes an empathetic presence.
- Observes, monitors, evaluates, and documents resident’s progress, symptoms and behavioral changes and provides a variety of health care interventions utilizing nursing skills and medical equipment including therapeutic interventions using a variety of modalities. Facilitates discharge or transitional planning where needed; identifies referrals to other health/ community professionals.
- Provides education, instruction, and support either one to one or in small groups using health promotion, harm reduction, and community building approaches regarding sexual health, nutrition, communicable diseases, mental health, addictions and other topics as necessary.
- Works collaboratively with internal team, other health professionals, residents, family and community in the identification and resolution of health issues, cultural and language barriers, ethical dilemmas, and coordination and integration of care. Makes referrals, links, or develops partnerships with residents and other agencies, resources and/or support groups and advocates on behalf of the resident for the development of collaborative participation or access to inclusionary community resources.
- Works within an intensive community/housing environment maintaining a high level of empathy and compassion while understanding and implementing compassionately informed boundaries.
- Maintains accurate computerized and paper records in accordance with established procedures and policies; prepares and maintains statistical information, correspondence, reports and other documentation.
- Uses appropriate supplies and equipment in accordance with organizational standards and safe practice guidelines. Problem- solves equipment malfunctions with technical staff. Handles, stores, and disposes of work place hazardous materials and sharps in accordance to policies and procedures.
- Maintains an awareness of current Occupation Health & Safety guidelines and standards. Responds to incidents such as missing residents, injuries to staff or visitors, aggressive and/or disruptive behaviors; critical incidents. Participates in team & program activities to enhance and optimize the delivery of care and facilitate evidence-based nursing practice. Promotes quality management principles.
- Applies an evidence-based approach to clinical problem solving using literature reviews, applying approved research findings in clinical practice. Evaluates results in collaboration with interdisciplinary team.
- Participates on committees as needed
- Demonstrates and/or provides guidance on clinical and health related tasks to designated care givers and guides the clinical experience of assigned students and new staff; provides input to the manager and/or designate as requested on individual's progress in achieving established standards of nursing care
- Maintains standards of nursing practice and develops professional competence through in service, inter-disciplinary case conferences, team meetings and other educational means, as required by the employer.
- Maintains and updates own clinical knowledge within area of practice, and develops a plan in collaboration with designated personnel/team for professional development. Reviews progress to ensure that goals are achieved within established time frames.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Current registration with BCCNP
- Recent, related experience
- Certificates in CPR and First AID, BCCDC Immunization, phlebotomy training, advanced wound care training
KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES
- Demonstrated knowledge and skills within a specific knowledge of community health and nursing practice within a client and family centered model of care
- Broad knowledge of BCCNP LPN standards of practice and guidelines for clinical practitioners
- Knowledge of the Community Health Nurse of Canada (CHNC) competencies and standards of practice
- Basic Knowledge of nursing standardized tests and measures
- Knowledge and demonstrated skill in the provision of evidence based clinical practice related to designated clinical population
- Knowledge of provincial acts, regulations, and program policies and guidelines related to home and community care.
- Knowledge of acute, chronic disease, palliative and health management and self-management support
- Knowledge of community resources available for client/ family support and related health services
- Knowledge of transitions through continuum of care
- Knowledge of other health professions and their role in client care
- Knowledge of adult education principles, methods, and tools
- Demonstrated ability to promote client focused care for and with clients and significant others, sensitive to diverse cultures and preference, client advocacy and social justice concerns
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively as a member of a professional team
- Demonstrated ability to adjust to new and unexpected events
- Demonstrated ability to manage psychosocial and behavioral issues
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively through verbal, nonverbal, written, electronic, and social media
- Demonstrated ability to employ effective conflict resolution and reconciliation approaches and techniques
- Demonstrated ability to teach, facilitate and coach
- Demonstrated ability to employ teaching/ learning strategies to transfer knowledge to engage clients/ families in planning and self management of care
- Demonstrated ongoing professional development of self
- Demonstrated ability to develop rapport, trust, and ethical relationships with clients/families, client care providers and other health care professionals and providers
- Demonstrated ability to plan, organize, schedule, and prioritize work
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT
Successful applicants will be required to complete a Criminal Records Review Check.
This is a unionized position under CUPE 1004.
Job Type: Casual
Salary: $31.65 /hour
Part-time hours: 8-40 per week
Job Types: Part-time, Casual
Salary: $31.65 per hour
- 10 Hour Shift
- 8 Hour Shift
- Day shift
- Monday to Friday
- addictions/mental health/primary care: 1 year (Required)
- CPR (Required)
- Licensed Practical Nurse (Required)