Royal Canadian Mounted Police
CS-02 - SPCP-02
$70,439 to $86,213
For further information on the organization, please visit Royal Canadian Mounted Police
12 March 2020 - 23:59, Pacific Time
Who can apply:
Persons residing in Canada and Canadian citizens residing abroad.
AMENDMENT TO CLOSING DATE
We are committed to providing an inclusive and barrier-free work environment, starting with the hiring process. If you need to be accommodated during any phase of the evaluation process, please use the Contact information below to request specialized accommodation. All information received in relation to accommodation will be kept confidential.
Candidates from outside the federal public service will be required to pay for their own travel (including travel for assessment purposes), and may be required to pay for their own relocation expenses.
Your responses to the screening questions will be used as the primary source in determining whether you meet the screening requirements. It is insufficient to state only that the requirement is met or to provide a listing of current responsibilities. Candidates must provide concrete examples demonstrating how they meet the requirements.
FAILURE TO PROVIDE SUFFICIENT AND APPROPRIATE INFORMATION MAY RESULT IN ELIMINATION FROM THE PROCESS.
We are “K” Division’s Computer Support Unit within the Information Technology Branch. We resolve the IT workstation issues for all of our users throughout the RCMP in Alberta. Working with our IT partners, we provide desk side or remote support to over 5,000 RCMP users who utilize over 18,000 IT assets in every curve and corner of Alberta. Our team is located in major centers in Alberta. We are hard working professionals, dedicated to enabling IT. Our IT Partners within the Informatics Technology Branch include: Application Development, Life Cycle, and Special Projects.
Intent of the process
The intent of this process is to staff one (1) permanent position in Edmonton, AB. A qualified pool of candidates may be established and may be used to staff similar positions on a term and/or permanent basis. The pool could be used to offer acting appointments, assignments, secondments or deployments.
Positions to be filled:
Information you must provide
In order to be considered, your application must clearly explain how you meet the following (essential qualifications)
Successful completion of two years of an acceptable post-secondary educational program in computer science, information technology, information management or another specialty relevant to the position to be staffed OR an acceptable combination of education, training and/or experience.
- An acceptable combination is defined as: two years of related experience AND one relevant industry certification such as Microsoft, Novell, Comptia A+, ITSM, etc.
1.Indeterminate period incumbents of positions in the CS group on May 10, 1999, who do not possess the education prescribed above, are deemed to meet the minimum education standards based on their education, training and/or experience. They must be accepted as having met the minimum education standard whenever this standard is called for when staffing positions in the CS group.
2.It is the recognized educational institution (e.g. community college, CÉGEP or university) that determines if the courses taken by a candidate correspond to two years of a post-secondary program at the institution.
3.At the manager's discretion, an acceptable combination of education, training and/or experience may serve as an alternative to the minimum post-secondary education stated above. Whenever the minimum education is met using this alternative, it is met for the specific position only and must be re-assessed for other positions for which this alternative has been specified by the manager.
- Recent* and significant** experience with support and installation of end-user IT equipment on an enterprise networked environment.
- Recent* experience supporting a LAN/WAN environment (Microsoft, Novell or another relevant platform).
- Recent* experience supporting a Microsoft Windows desktop computer networking environment.
- Recent* experience performing network administration functions.
- Recent is defined as within the last 5 years
**Significant experience is defined as the depth and breadth of experience normally associated with approximately two years of experience
- Ability to communicate effectively in writing
If you possess any of the following, your application must also clearly explain how you meet it (other qualifications)
- Experience with imaging/cloning workstations
- Experience with ITSM (Information Technology Service Management)
- Experience with Novell Infrastructure
- Experience with Outlook/Exchange
- Experience with AD/SCCM (Active Directory/System Center Configuration Manager)
- Experience with IT-Based Project Management
The following will be applied / assessed at a later date (essential for the job)
Information on language requirements
- Ability to communicate effectively orally
- Ability to analyze and resolve software, hardware, and firmware problems, and to recommend and implement appropriate solutions
- Ability to set plans and priorities in a demanding and complex environment
- Ability to perform IT system testing
- Demonstrating integrity and respect
- Working effectively with others
- Thinking Things Through
- Showing initiative and being action-oriented
The following may be applied / assessed at a later date (may be needed for the job)
- Microsoft MCP, MCSE, MCSA, Win7,10, SCCM
- Powershell Scripting
- CompTia A+, Network +, Security +
- ITSM (Information Technology Service Management)
- Project Management
Conditions of employment
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- Ability to obtain and retain RCMP Top Secret Security Clearance (following successful application)
- Willing and able to travel for work related purposes, throughout service area, using various modes of transportation, including air to remote areas
- Must possess and be able to maintain a valid Class 5 provincial Driver’s License
- Willing and able to work overtime hours, or adjust work schedule with little or no notice, to meet operational requirement
- Mobility to the extent of crawling under furniture to set up and assemble computer equipment.
- Willing and able to lift and carry items up to 23 kg (i.e. printers or computers)
The Public Service of Canada is committed to building a skilled and diverse workforce that reflects the Canadians we serve. We promote employment equity and encourage you to indicate if you belong to one of the designated groups when you apply.
Information on employment equity
Written and practical exams will be administered.
Interviews will be conducted.
Reference checks will be conducted.
Volume Management strategies may be used.
All communication relating to this process, including email correspondence and telephone conversations, may be used in the assessment of qualifications.
Preference will be given to veterans and to Canadian citizens, in that order, with the exception of a job located in Nunavut, where Nunavut Inuit will be appointed first.
Information on the preference to veterans
We thank all those who apply. Only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.