Personal Support Worker
Competition posting date:
Competition closing date:
Community and Social Services Department, Long Term Care Services
CUPE 503 Inside/Outside
$25.977 to $30.397 per hour (2019 rates of pay)
- You may initially be paid 95% of your starting rate of pay, in accordance with the collective agreement.
Further to the Emergency Management and Civil Protection Act Ontario Regulation 77/20 which states:
Redeploying employees so that any particular employee is not providing services at more than one long-term
care home operated or maintained by the health service provider. As a result of this direction applicants will
only be allowed to work in one long- term care home during the pandemic.
Please be advised that your employment could also be impacted by any further promulgated regulations with
which the City is required to comply.
Applicants should be aware while the City is likely to be able to offer full-time hours during the pandemic,
full-time hours are not guaranteed once the state of emergency has been lifted.
Community and Social Services
Responsible for providing total resident care according to a Resident Care Plan (L.T.C.) that provides optimal
functioning and well being in a supportive, therapeutic environment, with an emphasis on resident safety and
Education & Experience
Grade 12 and the successful completion of a Personal Support Worker (PSW) program which meets the
standards established in the Long Term Care Act.
Minimum of six hundred (600) hours of related experience, including both class time and practical
experience, preferably with clinical experience in a geriatric or long term care setting
- Experience and formal training combined with demonstrated performance and ability may substitute for
stipulated academic requirements.
Language, Certificates & Licenses
The successful candidate will be required to complete a Vulnerable Sector Check to the City of Ottawa’s
Various language requirements, locations may require English, French or Bilingual competencies.
French oral, reading, writing required
English oral, reading, writing required
- Resident hygiene, optimal functioning, well-being, feeding, elimination
- Health Care Aide routines and practices in a long-term care setting
- Infection control guidelines
- Transfer and positioning techniques of residents
- Rehabilitation and palliative approaches
Competencies & Skills
- Effective team member
- Respectful and caring to residents
- Communicate with cognitively impaired residents, families, colleagues and staff
- Organize and prioritize workload
- Follow resident care plan and carry out activities as directed
- Report resident needs through observation of physical and mental condition/behaviour
- Follow safety procedures to maintain a safe and clean environment
- Transfer and positioning techniques of persons requiring long term care
- Manage time effectively
If this opportunity matches your interest and profile please apply online by using the "Apply"
button. If this is your first online application please refer to our resources on how to apply for jobs online.
We thank all candidates for their interest, however, only those selected to continue in the selection process
will be contacted.
The City of Ottawa is committed to providing quality services by establishing a qualified workforce that
reflects the diverse population it serves. The City encourages applications from all qualified individuals.
Accessible formats and communication supports are available upon request. Please contact the
HR Service Centre at 613-580-2424, extension 47411.