Work with us at Family Day!
POSITION TITLE Assistant Teacher
STATUS Contract Part Time – 25 hours per week – Split Shift
LOCATIONS St. Valentine
START DATE ASAP
END DATE June 30, 2020
About Family Day:
Family Day Care Services is committed to high-quality early learning and care. We are a non-profit, charitable organization with a long and distinguished history of providing services to children and families throughout Toronto, York and Peel Regions. We are a multi service organization which provides a broad range of services including: 24 Child Care Centres, 49 Before and After Care programs, 208 Licensed Home Child Cares, 6 Early ON programs, 2 Homework Plus programs, and Special Needs Resourcing for children and their families living in the Greater Toronto Area.
Family Day Offers:
- Employer paid health benefits *
- Employer contribution pension match*
- Generous vacation, sick leave and medical appointments
- Child Care discount for contract and permanent staff
- Long Term Service appreciation gifts
- Rewards and Recognition programs
- In-house training/professional development
- Opportunities for career progression
- Employee Referral program
- Permanent only
During summer, winter, March Break and P.A days full time hours may be available.
(only for Split Shift postings)
The Assistant Teacher works in partnership with the E.C.E. Teacher(s) to provide and support an Early Learning and Development Program for children (0-12 years), in a group setting in keeping with the Child Care and Early Years Act (CCEYA), municipal guidelines and the policies and procedures of Family Day.
- Support the implementation of the High/Scope® educational approach to Curriculum and The Hanen Learning Language and Loving It™ Program
- Assist E.C.E. in creating a program plan that reflects children’s interest and responds to diverse individual and cultural needs
- Participate in short and long term planning and evaluation activities
- Assist the E.C.E in the observation and assessment of children’s progress and behavior to ensure program meets individual and group needs
- Assist the E.C.E in providing Individual program plans for children with special needs
- Demonstrate empathy, sensitivity and support to the family unit
- Practice respectful communication with children, parents, colleagues, teachers, managers, students and volunteers
- Support, comfort and encourage children who are experiencing difficulties and help them to understand and handle their feelings
- Ensure that the activity areas are appropriately equipped and maintained
- Works within the Ontario’s Occupational Health and Safety standards
- Guide and assist children in the development of independent eating, dressing and toileting habits
- Perform other duties as required
Education and Experience Required
- Previous experience with children in a child care centre or educational setting
- Children with Special Needs Experience
- Knowledge of best practices in the early learning and development field
- Well-developed skills in areas such as leadership, communication, organization, assessment, teamwork, confidentiality, commitment and accountability, initiative and creativity
- Social and multicultural sensitivity
- Medical required – including TB (two stages) 6 months current to hiring date
- Police Vulnerable Sector Check 6 months current to hiring date
- Current Standard First Aid and CPR, level C
- Able to work all shifts between 7 a.m. and 6 p.m.
As an equal opportunity employer our staff represents many diverse backgrounds. We are committed, respectful and inclusive bringing awareness, passion and new ideas that contribute to quality early learning and child care.
Interested candidates may apply through our website:
Family Day Care Services is committed to providing a safe environment for children. All applicants will be thoroughly screened using background checks and a review process.
In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005, and the Ontario Human Rights Code, Family Day Care Services will provide a reasonable accommodation to employees and prospective employees to the point of undue hardship upon request and as required in respect of the individual’s particular restrictions and limitations. If you require a specific accommodation because of a disability or a medical need to ensure your equal participation, feel free to contact Human Resources via email: firstname.lastname@example.org
We are Hiring! If you have the passion, creativity and dedication we are looking for, we would love to hear from you.