Under the limited supervision of the Operations Manager, Continuing Studies, the Settlement Services Assistant works to help immigrants assisting them either individually or in groups including supporting immigrants in successfully accessing public services and community resources, by identifying needs and making appropriate referrals to community agencies, and establishing a mentoring/hosting program in Revelstoke. The Settlement Services Clerk will promote the program in the community, arrange and attend community meetings to increase communication about immigrant related issues, and will work to support the successful implementation of the Welcoming Communities Action Plan for Revelstoke.
Education and Experience
Completion of Grade 12 or equivalent, plus graduation from a two-year College program (such as Human Service Worker). Minimum 2 years related experience.
Skills and Abilities
- Strong customer service skills with the ability to deal tactfully and diplomatically with internal and external contacts
- Awareness of cultural norms and cultural sensitivity will be required
- Must be able to work effectively both independently and as part of a team with an aptitude for working in a collegial and collaborative environment
- Demonstrated problem solving and conflict resolution skills
- Effective marketing skills
- Excellent oral, written and presentation skills
- Computer Skills – Microsoft Word, Excel, and an understanding of Website development
- Must be flexible and able to manage a high work volume and conflicting priorities in order to meet deadlines
- Collaboration & Collegiality
- Continuous Learning & Information Seeking
- Effective Interactive Communication
- Integrity & Accountability
- Student & Service Focus
Job Specific Competencies
Desired Start Date 02/03/2020
Position End Date (if temporary) 03/31/2020
This position is 28 hours per week. Schedule tba.
There is potential for an extension based on securing additional external funding. The Sessional period would run approximately September to July.
Annual Salary/Hourly Rate $21.40 - $24.44
Appointment Type Support - Sessional Part-time
Special Instructions to Applicants
Please provide the names and contact information for a minimum of three referees.
For inquiries about this position, please contact Sandy Camire, Operations Manager, Continuing Studies, by way of email to SCamire@okanagan.bc.ca.
this position is externally funded and is subject to operational needs and is based on the length of the specific contract and whether such contract is renewed. Employees who are hired for externally funded positions are not entitled to bumping rights or severance as per the BCGEU Support Staff Collective Agreement (Letter of Understanding #11).
Shortlisted internal candidates must notify the current Support Staff Bargaining Chairperson and Human Resources if they want a Union Observer during interviews and final selection of candidates.
Employee Group Support