- A high school diploma or equivalent
- You are at least 18 years old, and authorized to work in the Canada
- You are able to work 40 hours/week, and overtime as required
- 1+ year of experience with Microsoft Outlook, Word, and Excel, including email management, scheduling, updating spreadsheets, report writing, etc.
- Able to lift up to 49 pounds, stand/walk for up to 10-12 hours, and be able to frequently push, pull, squat, bend and reach, all with or without reasonable accommodation
- A valid and active driver’s license
- Are authorized to work in Canada without sponsorship
Amazon Yard Specialist Job Description
Are you ready to drive trucks and solve transportation mysteries? As a Yard Specialist, you will be a vital member of Amazon’s Transportation Operations Management team. Yard Specialists drive terminal tractors, communicate with carriers and control the accuracy of Amazon Fulfillment and Sortation Center trailer yards.
Things to know about working in an Amazon Trailer Yard:
- We’re committed to providing one of the safest work environments. This means you wear a reflective vest, stretch, provide safety tips, and recognize each other for working safely.
- We have a relaxed, casual dress code (as long as your attire meets our safety requirements).
- As a Yard Specialist you will:
- Adhere to company rules and regulations and make safety a priority at all times
- Perform various functions within the yard, support site operations teams, internal transportation field teams, and external carriers to ensure all trailers arrive and depart on time with zero defects and to maintain a fluid trailer pool
- Operate Commercial Motor Vehicles within the yard to move trailers to/from dock and parking locations and over the road as required while staying on predetermined routes and using approved equipment
- Comply with DOT regulations (size, weight, route designations, parking, violation and incident reporting requirements, break periods, etc.) as well as company policies and procedures
- Complete driver vehicle inspection reports on equipment and notify managers of any maintenance or delivery issues encountered
- Follow delivery schedule, track and report working hours and breaks at appropriate times, obey all applicable traffic laws, and drive in accordance with weather/road conditions
- Drive, maneuver, and load/unload a truck using approved equipment (pallet jack, etc.), with or without reasonable accommodation
- Solve problems with a data-driven approach, leveraging performance metrics and/or Lean techniques
- Work 40 hours/week and overtime as required
- These are the essential physical functions of the position to be performed with or without accommodation:
- Lift up to 49 pounds, stand and walk during shifts lasting up to 12 hours, and frequently push, pull, squat, bend, and reach, with or without reasonable accommodation
- Climb in and out of the spotter truck numerous times per day; hooking and unhooking trailers
- 2+ years commercial driving experience in a vehicle of similar size, weight, and controls as a terminal tractor and proficiency in backing trailers into dock doors and parking slips
- An existing Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) or the ability to obtain a CDL
- Strong analytical thinking and problem solving skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills with diverse audiences
- Ability to follow and enforce safety measures and policies to all who enter the yard, including vendors and senior team members
- Willingness to learn quickly in a fast-paced environment
- A commitment to build strong, collaborative relationships with colleagues and outside vendors
Benefits include health care (medical, dental, vision) coverage starting on day 1 as well as 401(k) with company match, holiday/overtime pay and employee discount. Amazon offers a range of fully paid Maternity and Parental Leave options for parents prior to, and following, the birth or adoption of a child. Relocation assistance is not provided.
Related Military Occupational Specialties:
Army Career Field 88 (88M Motor Transport Operator, 88N Transportation Management Coordinator, etc.), 3531 Marine Corps Motor Vehicle Operator, EO Navy Equipment Operator and 2T1 Air Force Vehicle Operator.
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity Employer – Minority / Women / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation / Age.