About the City of Hamilton
Contribute to the City of Hamilton, one of Canada’s largest cities - home to a diverse and strong economy, an active and inclusive community, a robust cultural and dining scene, hundreds of kilometres of hiking trails and natural beauty just minutes from the downtown core, and so much more. Join our diverse team of talented and ambitious staff who embody our values of sensational service, courageous change, steadfast integrity, collective ownership and being engaged empowered employees. Help us achieve our vision of being the best place to raise a child and age successfully. #BeTheReason
JOB ID #:
Financial Planning Admintration & Policy
NUMBER OF VACANCIES:
1 Permanent Full-Time, 2 Temporary (12 & 24 Months)
Non Union Mgmt Professional
HOURS Of WORK:
35.00 per week
$38.150 - $44.620 per hour
- Note: See appropriate Collective Agreement or the Non Union Salary Range for details.
1 Permanent Full-Time, 2 Temporary (12 & 24 Months)
Job Description ID #:
SUMMARY OF DUTIES:
Reporting to the Business Administrator, coordinates overall financial & administrative services including budget preparation, budget variance reporting, departmental purchases, cash application, development of computerized budget spreadsheets on current, capital, reserve and balance sheet accounts, as well as co-ordinating various subsidy claims and reconciliation reports.
Assist the Business Administrator with the coordination of financial and administrative functions for the assigned Division by:
- Liaising with Divisional Program Managers and Directors with respect to financial reporting requirements;
- Assisting with coordinating the completion of all entries (monthly, quarterly and year end) within established deadlines;
- Assisting with the preparation and coordination of the annual Operating and Capital Budget Submission and budget exception reporting;
- Providing direction to other staff on financial and administrative functions;
- Developing, for review and approval, and maintaining job related policies and procedures;
- Liaising with program staff with respect to daily cash application, credits and general accuracy of various accounts
Adhere to service level agreements via the division’s financial and administrative functions.
Assist with department's monthly monitoring of expenditures, investigating discrepancies and providing corrections as required. Distribute copies of financial reports (AFR, BVR) and bring all foreseeable budget variances to the attention of Business Administrator. Analyze accounts as required.
Prepare and ensure the accuracy of journal entries and requests for information.
Review orders and invoices for goods and services for the department by ensuring necessary authorization is obtained in accordance with the purchasing policy.
Monitor computer hardware inventory; arranges computer/printer lease replacements in conjunction with Information Technology Services.
Oversee maintenance of inventory of all computer equipment, verifies monthly billings with program areas and processes discrepancies. Ensure corrections are made and reflected on next month's billing.
Examine, analyze, reconcile and report on current, capital, reserve and balance sheet accounts. Retrieve financial data from PeopleSoft System and/or other City of Hamilton subsystems as required.
Develop and edit computerized budget spreadsheets and other financial and statistical reports using a variety of database applications. Prepare financial scenarios. Review and analyze data to ensure integrity and consistency. Advise the Business Administrator of potential problem areas and provide options and recommendations for solutions.
Prepare and monitor Federal/Provincial Subsidy Claims and review required submissions for Federal and Provincial Ministries and other outside agencies.
Implement and monitor Federal, Provincial and Municipal funding agreements and contracts within various outside agencies.
Compose correspondence to other City departments, internal staff, outside agencies and other levels of government.
Research information and investigate and respond to inquiries from staff, the public, other City departments, government and other outside agencies.
Responsible for the timely collection and recording of all revenues of the corporation and other agencies under management.
Responsible for weekly balancing control and reconciliation of bank accounts.
Ensure effective cash management procedures by accurate recording of revenues to maximize interest earned on balances in bank accounts.
Assist with the hiring, training and supervision of related staff.
Responsible for performance evaluations and the disciplining of the staff as required.
Assist with the review of Council Reports with respect to financial implications.
Participate in special projects as assigned.
Provide back-up support to the Business Administrator as required.
Work in accordance with the provisions of applicable Health and Safety legislation and all City of Hamilton Corporate, Departmental and Divisional policies and procedures related to Occupational Health and Safety.
Perform other duties as assigned which are directly related to the responsibilities of this position.
1. Advanced knowledge of accounting, budget and related financial procedures normally acquired through the completion of a University Degree in Business Administration, Commerce, Economics or an equivalent combination of education and relevant work experience.
2. Three to five years previous related experience to acquire competence in analyzing current, capital, reserve and balance sheet accounts. Must have an understanding of and be able to interpret financial statements. Progressively responsible experience in a unionized municipal environment would be an asset.
3. Excellent knowledge of computer software applications, budget systems and related emerging trends and related systems with a demonstrated ability to conceptualize problems, build complex computer models and recommend appropriate solutions and/or responses.
4. Demonstrated ability to communicate both orally and in written form with varying audiences including management, peers, staff, other levels of government and the public.
5. Must be detail oriented and have developed analytical, organizational, time management and customer service skills to function effectively in a deadline sensitive environment.
6. Demonstrated knowledge and experience with PeopleSoft would be an asset.
7. Good knowledge and understanding of statutes, regulations, by-laws and collective agreements affecting the department/section would be an asset.
8. Pursuit of a Professional Accounting designation is preferred.
Be advised that Human Resources frequently audits resumes of internal/external applicants to ensure/validate information provided is consistent and trustworthy. Falsification of information provided at any time throughout the recruitment process may be grounds for disqualification, and for internal applicants, subject to discipline up to and including termination.
The City is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes. Consistent with our Values and Corporate Culture Pillars, the City of Hamilton is committed to providing equitable treatment to all with respect to barrier-free employment and accommodation without discrimination. The City will provide accommodation for applicants in all aspects of the hiring process, up to the point of undue hardship. If you have an accommodation need, please contact Human Resources as soon as possible to make appropriate arrangements.
We invite you to visit the departmental webpage to obtain further information on the culture and business of this department.
The incumbent shall comply with all Health and Safety Policies and Practices for this position and the workplace.
It is the responsibility of the applicants to ensure that their application reaches Human Resources by the closing date or they may not be considered. It is also the responsibility of applicants to supply qualifications, licences and related experience relevant to the qualifications outlined above for this competition as directed. On the basis of the criteria set out above, this posting is open to all applicants
The statements made by me are true, complete and correct to the best of my knowledge. I understand that any falsification of statements, misrepresentations, deliberate omission or concealment of information may be considered just cause for discipline, up to and including termination for internal applicants and disqualification for external applicants.