The McGill University and Genome Quebec Innovation Centre advances genomics in medical research through its research programs and other major initiatives. We provide a cutting-edge integrated research environment that harnesses the most recent advances in genomics and other areas of large-scale biology, with quantitative methodology and computational analysis for breakthroughs in medical and life sciences research.
We are currently seeking a motivated and experienced individual for the position of Academic Associate (Senior Project Manager). Under the direction of the Senior Scientific Liaison & Technology Resource Manager, the incumbent will provide support across the full range of genomics research efforts at the Centre. This includes, but is not limited to; management of scientific collaborations and coordination with stakeholders involved at the contractual, wet lab, data analysis, and financial levels. In addition, the Senior Project Manager will be responsible for drafting of research grant applications, reports and other scientific documentation.
- Manage large scale collaborative genomics projects and track follow-up action items and progress;
- Work with finance and project representatives to stay within budget;
- Coordinate with lab managers to plan incoming projects and timelines for sample preparation and processing;
- Review run metrics and data QC statistics;
- Coordinate troubleshooting of sample preparation, sequencing and data analysis with the laboratory and bioinformatics teams as required;
- Assist bioinformatics team members in planning data delivery to ensure efficient and effective milestone achievement;
- Coordinate data delivery and communication to researchers;
- Manage reporting, communicate, and address questions that are generated once data is provided
- Support training and supervising of new project managers;
- Develop project scope and cost estimates;
- Assist faculty and collaborators in project development including choice of technology, project organization (timelines, defining milestones), pricing, etc.
- Assist faculty and other senior researchers with grant writing, report writing, scientific publications, and other documents as required.
- Independently liaise with internal and external stakeholders, including other academics and vendors, to assist in completion of tasks
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS:
- PhD degree in Genetics or related field of study preferred
- Strong background in genetics and genomics research, with a thorough understanding of next generation sequencing technologies and a minimum of 3-5 years’ hands-on experience in large next-generation sequencing projects
- Excellent communication skills and professionalism in dealing with multiple stakeholders
- Exceptional interpersonal skills with the ability to build relationships at all levels
- Demonstrated scientific writing skills
- Strong organizational and time management skills with emphasis on accuracy and attention to detail
- Motivated individual with ability to efficiently multi task, work under pressure, handle interruptions and meet deadlines
- Ability to identify and solve problems, analyze data and implement/troubleshoot solutions
- A self-directed individual capable of taking initiative and assuming responsibility
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment
McGill University hires on the basis of merit and is strongly committed to equity and diversity within its community. We welcome and encourage applications from racialized persons/visible minorities, women, Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, ethnic minorities, and person of minority sexual orientations and gender identities, as well as from all qualified candidates with the skills and knowledge to productively engage with divers communities.
McGill further recognizes and fairly considers the impact of leaves (e.g. family care or health –related) that may contribute to career interruptions or slowdowns. Candidates are encouraged to signal any leave that affected productivity may have had an effect on their career path. This information will be considered to ensure the equitable assessment of the candidate’s record.
All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply; however, in accordance with Canadian immigration requirements, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.”
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $0.00 to $90,000.00 /year
- hands on experience in large next generation sequence proj: 3 years (Preferred)
- genetics and genomics research: 3 years (Required)
- thorough understanding of next generation sequencing: 3 years (Required)
- Doctoral Degree (Required)
- English and French (Required)