An enthusiastic Economic Development Officer is required to work for the FDC Regional Economic Development Commission. The commission is an interprovincial-intermunicipal organization that provides leadership in economic development initiatives undertaken on behalf of three communities, which include the City of Flin Flon, the Town of Creighton and the Village of Denare Beach. The goal is to improve the region’s overall capacity for sustainable economic growth, seek economic diversification and work collaboratively with the surrounding communities.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The Regional Economic Development Officer (REDO) is responsible for facilitating, promoting and ensuring community and economic development in order to secure opportunities for economic and business development and increase local employment.
- Assumes responsibility for facilitating community and economic development planning in order to identify and establish economic development opportunities.
- Facilitates the community and economic development planning process.
- Establishes and supports the FDC Regional Economic Development Commission.
- Develops economic profiles of the region and community.
- Facilitates the development of a community economic plan including vision, goals and objectives.
- Researches and provides recommendations on community economic development opportunities.
- Evaluates results of economic development studies and agreements and makes recommendations.
- Takes minutes at meetings and maintains economic development committee files and reports.
- Assumes responsibility for identifying and fostering community economic development opportunities. * Acts as a liaison between local organizations, businesses and individuals and representatives of councils and administrations.
- Facilitates partnerships within the communities to develop and promote opportunities.
- Assists local organizations, businesses and individuals to take advantage of economic development opportunities.
- Conducts surveys and research on market opportunities.
- Identifies capital development program opportunities.
- Represents the community at regional, territorial and national meetings and conferences on economic development.
- Develops community and regional networks.
- Develops brochures and promotional materials.
- Promotes the community through media relations and liaises between the three councils and the media.
- Assumes responsibility for related duties as required or assigned.
- Promotes and supports the mission, vision and values of the City of Flin Flon, Town of Creighton and Village of Denare Beach.
- Ensures all applicable and pertinent statutes are adhered to.
- Stays abreast of changes to pertinent statutes and related regulations.
-Organization and planning
-The ability to work as part of a cohesive team while at the same time being able to work at one’s own initiative
-Multi-tasking and prioritizing
-Written and verbal communication
-Decision-making and analytical problem-solving
-Leadership, team building and energizing
-Attention to detail
-Adherence to policy and procedure
-Goal setting Relationship building
-Independent individual with the confidence to shape and develop the position
- Extensive knowledge of community economic development theories and practices.
- University degree in a related field an asset.
- Two to five years of related experience within a municipal government environment preferred.
- Business planning and market analysis abilities.
- An understanding of relevant municipal legislation, policies and procedures.
- Any combination of the above that would meet the overall job requirements.
- Proven positive track record in dealing with business interests.
- Knowledge of economic development and business sustainability, business networking and building business cases.
- Advanced skills in facilitation, strategic planning and implementation, as well as project and program management.
- Proven ability to professionally lead projects, achieve mandates, control budgets and negotiate and manage vendor and consultant relationships.
- Ability to gather thorough information through researching, interviewing or other methodologies and present effectively to multiple audiences in a clear and concise written format or articulate verbal presentations.
- High degree of flexibility in hours of work to attend after-hour meetings, promotional events and other activities.
- Proven discretion and judgment in dealing with matters of a highly sensitive nature, sometimes under stressful situations.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills refined in a professional environment.
- Office administration capabilities, including financial management and analysis.
What We Offer:
Please submit your resume, cover letter, and work samples to the attention of Paula Muench.
Phone: (306) 688-8253
*Salary commensurate with education and experience.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
- Economic Development : 2 years (Preferred)