Job Description Executive Vice President, Clinical Operations & Vice President, Central Regional Cancer Program
Building healthy communities through outstanding care, innovative partnerships, and amazing people.
Join our team and together we will forge a new path to meet the changing needs of our growing communities and champion a culture of exemplary care to deliver clinical excellence by creating an environment where the best experiences happen. Through new partnerships, a relentless focus on quality and sustainability, and a dedication to the best patient and provider experience, Southlake will improve the health of our communities and shape the future of healthcare.
Southlake Regional Health Centre is a 500 bed Regional Centre, providing full services to our local communities, and advanced care throughout York Region and Simcoe-Muskoka. The Stronach Regional Cancer Centre at Southlake consistently attains some of the best outcomes in the province, and our innovative Cardiac Program is one of the largest in Ontario. Through the Southlake Community Ontario Health Team, we will be partnering with several of our OHT partners to advance transitions in care and to create better health for our population. With a team of more than 3,400 employees, 580 physicians and more than 900 volunteers, Southlake is committed to creating an environment where the best experiences happen, where people have the courage to think differently and where every voice matters.
Reporting to the President and CEO, the Executive Vice President (EVP), Clinical Operations is responsible for overall execution of the purpose defined in the strategic plan: “Through new partnerships, a relentless focus on quality and sustainability, and a dedication to the best patient and provider experience, Southlake will improve the health of our communities and shape the future of healthcare”. In this capacity, the EVP carries the responsibility for strategy execution by ensuring that the organization’s clinical operations are aligned with the strategic plan. The EVP will provide management oversight for leading performance against the quadruple aim, aligning high quality, high value, and integrated clinical programs to patient and provider experience.
In collaboration with other team members, the EVP provides leadership in creating the clinical services operational plan and in building a culture that will provide the foundation for an inter-professional model of care and improved services and outcomes. The EVP, together with the team, must be prepared to work collaboratively to imbed behaviours that reflect a commitment our Southlake values:
Always with compassion – we treat everyone like friends and family
Power of many – we cultivate partnerships within and beyond our walls for positive change
Service with purpose - we are passionate about making a difference in the lives of others
Every voice matters – we value all perspectives, listen respectfully, and take action
Courage to think differently – we embrace creativity, diversity, and innovation in everything we do
The EVP also contributes to the overall health system by providing strategic supportive leadership and partnerships to the many hospital and health partners within the Ontario Health Team (OHT) and across the broader health system, and across the public and private sector.
For further information on the role of Vice President, Central Regional Cancer Program Ontario Health - Cancer Care Ontario role, please click here.
The EVP sits on the Senior Leadership Team, attends the Medical Advisory Committee (MAC), the Board of Directors and Committee meetings, and acts as Chair of the Leadership Committee. The EVP represents the Corporation as needed externally at the Municipal and Regional level, the Ministry of Health and at Provincial and National forums as well as acting as a spokesperson at various public, political and fund raising activities in the community. The EVP will exercise management responsibility over all clinical programs ensuring that safe, quality healthcare is delivered in an efficient manner designed to meet the needs of both patients/families and staff alike. This will be enacted directly, and through delegation of responsibility to Directors and Management staff as required.
The EVP will take on the responsibilities of the Chief Executive Officer in their absence as required.
Personal Commitment to Southlake Regional Health Centre’s Values:
- The EVP will ensure he/she demonstrates Southlake’s values and commitment to purpose at the highest level.
- The EVP will relentlessly promote a culture which inspires others to live the values of the organization.
Competencies Executed by the EVP:
The competency headings below are taken from the LEADS Framework, which drives Southlake’s Management Performance Plan. Annual evaluations are supplemented by 360 assessments every two years.
I. Systems Transformation
- Strategically networks for the organization, and builds reciprocal, strategic relationships with internal and external stakeholders who may assist in attaining the organization’s strategic goals; facilitates the development of a comprehensive and geographically dispersed integrated health care system.
- Participates at the operational implementation level in building the Southlake Community OHT, along with systems partners
- Oversees major workforce and resource transformation for the clinical programs and demonstrates a results orientation and personal drive to set and achieve enterprise-wide goals.
- Executes the day-to-day strategies of the Senior Leadership Team and the Board of Directors and is accountable for the overall success of clinical operations of the hospital through effective leadership and oversight of operating and strategic plans.
- Monitor all legislation relevant to the role and the organization (employment standards, occupational health and safety, human rights, etc.) and all regulations related to professional certification to ensure that the organization is compliant.
II. Develops Coalitions/Engage Others
- Works collaboratively across organizational boundaries with the intention to collaborate and engage constructively.
- Builds organizational trust and capabilities to develop emerging leaders to contribute to the organization’s ability to produce and sustain results.
- Develop and foster effective collaboration between clinical departments, divisions, medical staff leadership, faculty and other affiliated services (inside and outside of the hospital) to ensure an integrated approach to providing services, and fulfilling the hospital's clinical, research and educational goals and objectives.
- Listens and influences others in order to gain support and commitment for strategic goals.
- Provides Leadership to inspire others to work toward the vision of the hospital through engagement and empowerment.
- Leads effective and efficient healthcare services through demonstrated organizational awareness and the ability to understand how relationships support attaining the hospital’s strategic goals.
- Ensures effective communication of key information cascades across the organization to ensure alignment to the strategic priorities of the hospital.
III. Achieve Results
- Shows business acumen and demonstrates the ability to understand the business implications of opportunities and optimizes business solutions strategies that will achieve the strategic goals of the organization.
- Plans, develops and approves specific operational policies, programs, procedures and methods in alignment with Southlake’s purpose, values and strategic plan.
- In association with the Senior Leadership Team, drives performance measures for the hospital according to the quadruple aim.
- Ensures limited resources deliver safe, quality care that maximizes resources and delivers value for each healthcare dollar.
- Provides performance measure reports (often in the form of dashboards) to the CEO and Board of Directors to demonstrate performance against key indicators.
IV. Leads Self
- Demonstrates personal resilience, leadership presence, inner confidence and the ability to accurately understand personal strengths and limitations, and impact on others.
- Demonstrates interpersonal sensitivity and shows the ability to understand and respond to concerns of others.
- Models qualities of honesty, integrity, transparency, compassion and role models Southlake’s values
- Actively seeks opportunities for personal growth and learning.
- Clinical Directors
- Executive Assistant
- Annual Management Performance Plan (MPP)
- MPP components include: organizational-level goals and objectives, personal goals and objectives, personal professional development and leadership/attainment of noteworthy strategic initiatives.
- 360 assessment every two years
- Demonstrated commitment to Life-long learning is an expectation of the EVP role
To confidentially explore this opportunity, please email your cover letter and resume to Andrea Donnelly, Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org or apply online.
At Southlake Regional Health Centre, we are committed to fostering an inclusive and accessible environment. We are dedicated to building a workforce that reflects the diversity of the community in which we live and serve, including those with disabilities. Southlake Regional Health Centre is committed to providing accommodations in all parts of the hiring process. If you require an accommodation, we will work with you to meet your needs.
It is the responsibility of all Southlake Regional Health Centre employees to work in a safe manner and promote health and safety in the workplace.