Purpose of position and profile
To maintain Township parks, trails, sports fields, playgrounds, cemeteries and outdoor spaces. To assist with operations, maintenance and general custodial work at the Woolwich Memorial Centre and St. Jacobs Arena as required. Staff will operate various equipment, including pickup trucks, power tools, lawn mowers, tractors, etc. Staff will report to the Senior Lead Hand, Parks Lead Hand, and Facilities Lead Hand. Positions are available between April and November with a minimum 2-month commitment.
· Maintain Township parks, trails, sports fields, playgrounds, cemeteries and outdoor spaces to Township established standards.
· Operate various parks and facilities equipment, including but not limited to mowers, line trimmers, blowers, tractors, floor scrubber.
· Operate Township vehicles and trailers in a safe and responsible manner.
· Assist with operations, maintenance and custodial duties including emptying park and facility waste receptacles, litter picking, power washing playgrounds/splashpad, painting, etc.
· Assist full time staff with ice rink flooding and other ice maintenance duties, including moving and pegging of nets.
· Assist with rental/event setup and tear down.
· Assist with maintaining a safe, healthy environment throughout Township parks and facilities.
· Work in compliance with the provisions of the Occupational Health and Safety Act and adhere to all Township of Woolwich and facility service standards and policies.
· Work with enthusiasm and professionalism as a member of the Recreation and Community Services team.
· Dress in a professional, well-kept manner and use personal protective equipment as required (helmet, CSA approved steel toe footwear, hearing protection, eye protection, etc.).
· Other duties as required.
Required knowledge and skills
· Excellent customer service, interpersonal, and communication skills.
· Able to understand and comprehend all policies and procedures as they relate to the work being performed, both verbal and written.
· Able to follow instructions, work as a team, and work independently.
· Experience in facility and grounds maintenance an asset.
· Experience with the safe use of hand and power tools, landscape maintenance tools and equipment an asset.
· Experience operating pick up trucks, trailers, and tractors with various attachments.
· Experience with grounds/parks maintenance, including landscaping, turf maintenance, and horticulture considered to be an asset.
· Basic computer skills required.
· The ability to read and communicate fluently in English.
· Willing to work shifts, including evenings, weekends and statutory holidays.
· Valid driver’s license considered an asset.
· Able to physically perform all essential duties/requirements associated with the position (heavy lifting/carrying – 50 lbs., pulling hockey nets, etc.).
· Applicants must be able to stand and walk for extended periods of time.
· Able to operate basic hand tools and custodial equipment in a safe and effective manner.
· Required to participate in supplementary training related to the Recreation and Community Services department (Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System (WHMIS), Health & Safety, First Aid and CPR, Facility Equipment Operation, Payroll system, etc.)
· Wear personal protective equipment, including but not limited to CSA approved footwear, hearing protection, eye protection.
· A valid Standard First Aid and CPR Certification considered an asset.
· Required to work in varying weather conditions/environments.
All applicants are thanked for their interest in these positions however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
The Township of Woolwich is committed to diversity and inclusion and offers an accessible workplace. We are an equal opportunity employer and are committed to meeting the needs of applicants during all phases of the hiring process. This document is available in alternate formats, or with accessible communication supports, upon request.
Reference ID: 2020-02
Job Types: Part-time, Temporary