IMAGINE a hospital where everyone is committed to excellence. We did. We are. From boardroom to bedside, we go above and beyond to offer the best and safest patient care. At North York General Hospital (NYGH), we put our patients first in everything we do. We are achieving a new standard of excellence in integrated patient-centered care. and as one of Canada's leading community academic hospitals, we are building on our academic foundation through enhanced education, research and innovation. As part of our dynamic team, you too can stand out and be amazing! At NYGH, our team is making a world of difference. NYGH has recently been ranked the #2 Hospital in Canada by Newsweek.
Technical Coordinator, Immunohistochemistry:
In this position, you will be responsible for specialized laboratory tasks, technical and team leadership and perform laboratory procedures as required. You will have excellent communication skills, written and verbal. You have the ability to organize workload and perform multiple tasks simultaneously. You demonstrate ability in interpersonal, diplomacy, coaching and facilitation skills. You have strong computer skills, and demonstrate accuracy and prevision in performing laboratory procedures.This position supports the hospital’s academic mandate by advancing care through teaching and learning and/or transforming care through research and innovation. This position contributes to the shared responsibility of ensuring health and safety policies are followed to provide for a healthy environment for patients, staff, physicians, volunteers and families.
On a practical level, you will
- Be responsible for delegated laboratory tasks
- Perform routine and specialized laboratory procedures
- Act as a technical resource for technologists
- Supervise the technical work of technologists
- Assist in general supervision when requested by the manager
- Teach new staff, student technologists and laboratory assistants
- Check reports and initials them when requested by the Manager
- Maintain log book of supplies required and orders reagents and supplies following lab protocol as required
- Be responsible for new equipment installation, ongoing preventative maintenance and troubleshooting when required
- Validate new tests as per NYGH protocols and in conjunction with pathologists
- Perform duties outlined in specifications for Medical Lab Technologist as required
- Participate in the Quality Assurance, including EQA testing and fire and safety programs
- Work safely in accordance with Occupational Health and Safety Act
- Perform other duties as required
- Registered with College of Medical Technologists of Ontario without restrictions in histology core functions
- University Degree required; Advanced Certification (ART) equivalent in the area required or commitment to pursue it
- Minimum five (5) years of laboratory experience in Histology and Immunohistochemistry with proven participation in other laboratory activities or projects
- Proficiency with Microsoft, including MS Word and Excel
Bilingualism in French/English an asset
What We Offer
Working at NYGH means working with a dynamic team of fellow healthcare providers, staff, and volunteers in one of Canada’s leading hospitals. This is a Full Time Regular Position with 8 hour shifts, 75 hours bi-weekly in Laboratory Medicine. We offer a highly competitive total compensation package that includes benefits, pension, and vacation. If you were searching for more reasons to consider joining the wonderful team at NYGH, check out some features of our Total Rewards package by visiting nygh.on.ca
How to Apply
Think you're the right person for the job? Here's your first chance to show us why:
Ensure to meet the deadline - only applications received by the closing date will be considered.
We will review all applications and will contact those selected for an interview.
At North York General, we are committed to fostering an inclusive and accessible environment. We are dedicated to building a workforce that reflects the diversity of the community in which we live, including those with disabilities. North York General is committed to providing accommodations in all parts of the hiring process. If you require an accommodation, we will work with you to meet your needs.