The Communications Specialist (Senior Writer) will provide leadership with planning, researching, and writing for both online and print media, with a priority on proofreading, reviewing, and editing text for clarity, grammatical accuracy and readability. The Communications Specialist (Senior Writer) will be responsible and accountable to provide managerial support in overseeing, coaching, and providing leadership to the activities of the communications staff, including ensuring all work produced meets high-standards and is delivered on-time. Specifically, this role overall, will help to lead key aspects of the strategic communications plan and advance the communications objectives of the organization under the direction of the Business Manager and Director of Operations.
Job Responsibilities / Duties:
1. Writing, reviewing, and proofreading a wide variety of print and online content types, including:
- Print media such as official publications of the organization, newsletters and bulletins;
- Online medical such as a Facebook, Instagram, web, email, mobile app, and landing page content;
- Presentation speaker notes, news releases, and slide content;
- A variety of marketing collateral, social copy, ads, or headlines as needed.
2. To provide writing and editorial support for IUOE Local 793 messaging and maintain the IUOE Local 793 brand across all media channels, including:
- Generating new ideas and researching priority projects and subjects;
- Crafting story structure and flexing tone to address members and/or the intended audience;
- Writing and editing high volumes of content;
- Advocating for quality in the overarching writing process;
- Tracking and analyzing content performance in order to drive engagement;
- Managing an editorial calendar;
- Providing advice and guidance on public affairs, media relations, member engagement, issues management, and communications strategies;
- Maintaining a consistent level of quality across all projects and schedules;
- Supporting the organization's overall communications goals and integrations with other groups.
3. Helping to assess and establish processes to enhance the delivery of communications across the organization, membership, and other stakeholders, including:
- Collaborating with colleagues and managers through the organization and guiding other communications staff by providing expertise and input;
- Working closely with the Business Manager and Director of Operations on media relations and issue management to provide reputational support to the organization's brand;
- Helping to plan, develop, and execute both internal and external communications strategies, programs, and initiatives;
- Staying up-to-date on industry trends and best practices as content continues to evolve across various technologies and platforms;
- Supporting a collaborative and efficient culture of teamwork and assisting in setting and ensuring a collaborative productive work process.
4. To enhance a continuous learning atmosphere and provide coaching and mentoring assistance to department staff.
5. Other duties as may be assigned by the Business Manager, Director of Operations, and/or Human Resources.
- A degree in English, Journalism, Communications or equivalent;
- At least five (5) years or more of experience in the Communications field with an emphasis on writing and editing communications materials, including speech writing;
- Knowledge of the construction industry would be considered an asset;
- Excellent editing, writing, researching, and messaging skills;
- Expert knowledge of grammar and proofreading;
- Proven high standard of quality and a meticulous attention to detail and an ability to self-edit;
- Experience in monitoring and analyzing metrics and coverage to assess the effectiveness of communications efforts;
- Demonstrated experience creating and executing strategic communications plans;
- Experience advising, interacting, and communicating effectively and professionally with senior level leaders in order to fulfill project requirements;
- Ability to establish and maintain tone, including providing guidance to others in designing or shifting tone;
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite (Outlook, Word, PowerPoint, Excel);
- A creative and open posture to problem solving and proven ability to respond to and incorporate feedback with grace;
- Strong planning, organization, and project management skills, including the ability to balance multiple projects and deadlines and proactively manage a large constantly fluctuating workload;
- Strong teamwork skills with an ability to work collaboratively;
- Ability to interpret, implement, and adhere to organizational policies and procedures;
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and be respectful of sensitive information;
- Sound strategic judgement and ability to create responsive plans;
- Flexibility to adapt to changing priorities, deadlines and ambiguous situations.
- Fast-paced, high volume environment;
- Manual dexterity required to operate computer and peripherals;
- Interacts professionally with employees, various management levels, members, and the public;
- Collaborative teamwork-based project model.
If you are qualified and interested in this position, please submit your cover letter and resume to the attention of the Assistant Human Resources Manager, outlining your qualifications and suitability to this position.
IUOE Local 793 welcomes applications from persons with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
Application deadline: 2021-05-21
Job Type: Full-time
- Company pension
- Dental care
- Employee assistance program
- Extended health care
- Life insurance
- On-site parking
- Paid time off
- Vision care
- Wellness program
- Day shift
- Monday to Friday
- Bachelor's Degree (preferred)
- Communications: 5 years (preferred)
- Temporarily due to COVID-19