Reporting to the General Manager, the Project Director leads, directs, and exercises functional authority over all aspects of construction, installation and maintenance projects including planning, organizing, budgeting, and cost reporting. The Project Director manages assigned Project Managers and related PMO staff, and ensures that the goals and objectives of each project are accomplished on schedule and within budget, and that quality and safety standards are met. The Project Director directs all assigned staff on the project in successfully accomplishing goals and objectives.
The Project Director will interface with customers, implement effective contract and commercial management mechanisms to protect the company against liability claims and effectively manage contractual aspects of the project.
Primary/Essential Responsibilities and Duties
1. Ensure customer satisfaction
2. Ensure that the assigned projects are correctly planned and executed by the project team, to meet or overachieve sales, cost and schedule requirements as defined by the company, accountability for all assigned projects results
3. Implement effective contract and claim management in all projects to increase the contractual margin and protect the company against liability claims
4. Advise, mentor and guide the project organization in their mission and support them in cross functional interaction e.g. project staffing, material or external service requirements or resolving of critical situations directly with peers, superiors, GM
5. Support Project Managers in managing their customer interface and communication effectively, establish relationships to customer’s peer management and manage this to limit escalations to senior management
6. Ensure that staffing requirements and budget related to assigned staff is planned and competencies of assigned staff are actively managed in order to meet company and project needs.
7. Comply with reporting requirements as communicated
8. Reviews project tender proposals and plans to gain an understanding of the project requirements (time frame, budget, safety, quality, staffing, materials and equipment requirements) necessary to complete the project within the required time frame.
9. Develops an execution work plan that outlines staffing, materials, equipment, subcontracting, and other services that are necessary to deliver the project on time and within budget.
10. Responsible for ensuring start-up and project close-out and process and documentation.
11. Support the estimation process to provide input on strategy and production rates.
12. Leads all project activities to ensure that the project is executed in accordance with designs, budgets and schedules. Identify changes, conflicts and opportunities and implements the plan.
13. Company representative for the project and point person for communication with consultant, client, owner or owner’s representative.
14. Monitors and oversees the efficient use of materials and equipment and the contractual performance of the project; confers with project staff to ensure that assigned duties and responsibility are performed per agreed upon expectations.
15. Monitors and oversees field operations, quality, productivity, progress, and safety of employees and subcontractors. Ensure Superintendent follows the work plan.
16. Oversees financial aspects of contracts.
17. Provides technical assistance and recommends construction methods and equipment.
18. Monitors and enforces safety programs.
General/Other Responsibilities and Duties
- Prepares written reports and/or updates (internal and external) for management, client, and project team, to ensure a clear understanding of project status.
- Trains, and manages performance of staff.
- Prepares and presents formal job update/status of project(s).
- Interface with regulatory authorities
- Undergraduate degree or diploma in a related field of study such as Electrical Engineering, Construction Management or Project Management.
- A minimum of 10 years recent related project management experience in a utility/heavy civil construction or maintenance environment, including a thorough knowledge of construction industry practices, methods, processes, and standards and their impact on project activities.
- Demonstrated experience applying knowledge of project controls (cost, schedule, change management, etc.), resource management, material management, contract management, subcontract management, safety, and quality.
- Track record of successfully planning and executing projects on schedule and within budget.
- Ability to apply, interpret and understand contract law and language
- Proficiency utilizing common business and construction applications such as Microsoft Office products, Hard Dollar, Explorer or JD Edwards software.
- Demonstrated leadership qualities and abilities; applies innovative and effective management techniques to maximize employee performance.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills and presentation skills.
- Strong client relations, influencing skills and organizational skills.
- Strategic thinking
- Problem solving and negotiation skills
- Decisive decision maker
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment with PNR RailWorks without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or any other characteristics protected by law.