The Ottawa Hospital:
Inspired by research. Driven by compassion
The Ottawa Hospital Research Institute is the research arm of The Ottawa Hospital and an affiliated institute of the University of Ottawa. With more than 1,700 scientists, clinician investigators, trainees and staff, and total revenues of more than $100 million, we are one of the foremost Canadian hospital-based research institutes. We are investigating virtually every major disease and condition, with a focus on answering important health questions and translating our findings into benefits for patients and society.
ICES uOttawa is a satellite unit of the Institute ICES located at the Ottawa Hospital Research Institute and has a full-time opening for a Methodologist. ICES maintains a large data repository with many key Ontario health care administrative databases. Researchers at ICES use these databases to answer important questions related to health and health care utilization. Since its inception in 1992, ICES has generated research to inform science and help policymakers, managers, planners, practitioners and other researchers shape the Ontario health care system.
Your role as an ICES Methodologist will be to:
Basic Requirements (Education/Experience):
- Work collaboratively to develop research plans, study designs, and analysis plans
- Use advanced SAS skills to transform and link data
- Understand how to use the repository data to address research questions
- Conduct exploratory and statistical analyses of the data, primarily using SAS
- Produce meaningful reports and graphical presentations of the data
- Document project work according to standards of practice guidelines
- Develop general use SAS macros based on project work to allow others to re-use concepts
- Participate in writing research papers and reports
- Take part in team initiatives to develop an analytical knowledge base, standards of practice and SAS macros
- B.Sc. in Biostatistics, Epidemiology, Health Sciences or related field
- Experience with SAS programming and both data management and analysis; knowledge of SAS SQL or SAS macro would be helpful
- Excellent interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills
- Aptitude for research methodology
- Excellent attention to detail
- Demonstrated initiative in the workplace
- Experience in the health care sector
- Knowledge of analytic methods applied to health services research
This is a two year contract with the possibility of renewal. The salary range for this position is $27.075/hr (min) to $36.728/hr (max) commensurate with skills, education and experience. Employees are entitled to medical, dental, and pension benefits in addition to 3 weeks paid vacation per annum. Ongoing training and education is provided. There will be opportunities for advancement to a Methodologist II position with satisfactory performance over time.
Please send a complete CV to:
Dr. Meltem Tuna
Lead Analyst / Program Manager
ICES uOttawa / Ottawa Hospital Research Institute
Ottawa Hospital, Civic Campus, 1053 Carling Ave, Ottawa, ON K1Y 4E9
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those invited for an interview will be contacted. The Ottawa Hospital Research Institute is an equal opportunity employer. Upon request, accommodations due to a disability are available throughout the selection process.