This job opening is limited to residents living within 25 kilometers of Fort Good Hope, NT.
At the discretion of the Principal, the Support Assistant reports to the Principal, Program Support Teacher and/or Classroom Teachers. The Support Assistant is responsible for assisting with implementing specialized and modified learning and education activities in order to provide a positive learning experience for students with diverse needs. The position is responsible for working with designated students either individually or in small groups to provide academic assistance. The SA may work in the classroom or in other areas of the school.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
The SA should have fundamental knowledge of:
The SA must demonstrate the following skills:
- child development, disabilities and other challenges faced by students
- the effects of living with a disability or challenge
- formal and informal learning strategies
- inclusive schooling philosophies
- community resources and services
- excellent interpersonal skills, planning and organization, and time management skills
- ability to read and understand instructions, IEPs, meeting minutes, and communications
- ability to write and maintain accurate student records
- effective verbal, written, and listening communication skills
- ability to work independently
- analytical, decision making,and problem-solving skills
- conflict management, resolution skills and stress management skills
- computer skills including the ability to operation word-processing, email and internet applications
The SA must demonstrate the follow abilities
Typically, the above qualifications would be attained by:
- ability to work in a multi-cultural setting with young people, staff and parents
- ability to work with students with exceptional needs
- ability to provide instruction in core academic subjects (reading, writing, mathematics) to students in a wide range of grade levels.
- ability to read and comprehend appropriate materials, including reading and mathematics textbooks at a basic understanding of teaching, instruction and classroom management techniques.
- ability to acquire knowledge of the goals, objectives and operations of the school and DEA as well as the local people and culture.
The incumbent would normally acquire the requisite knowledge and skills through completion of Grade 12 and related experience in an educational environment.
Equivalencies will be considered.
An ability to communicate using sign language would be considered an assetfor this position.
Sahtu Divisional Education Council
Chief T'Seleyhe School
Fort Good Hope, NT
Sahtu HR Client Service Centre
Department of Finance
Government of the Northwest Territories
#2 McKenzie Drive
NORMAN WELLS, NT X0E 0V0
Ph. (867) 587-7150
Fax (867) 587-2173