Potato Breeding Technician
Full Time, Seasonal/Internship
Highly Competitive, Commensurate with Experience
The Potato Breeding Technician will be responsible for a hands-on contribution to the continuous improvement of Tuberosum’s breeding program and variety development. The breeding technician will have a clear focus on the organized implementation and maintenance of material and data pertaining to the strategic breeding program. They will work closely with the Director of R & D to facilitate the development of new and better genetics for Tuberosum’s various markets. This will include but not be limited to hitting annual and 3-5 year breeding priorities and KPI’s to ensure we stay on the cutting edge of potato research worldwide.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
· Hands-on traditional potato breeding activities e.g. pollen collection, cross-pollination, seed harvest etc
· Detailed phenotypic and genotypic data collection and assessment of material.
· Implement breeding plot plans for crossing, evaluation and agronomic trialling.
· Oversee data collection, statistical analysis and database management.
· Conduct laboratory activities e.g. Genetic Fingerprinting, Molecular Markers, Plant Tissue Culturing
· Operate and Maintain Greenhouse production
· Identify and Optimize agronomic best practices for greenhouse production
· Facilitate the management, implementation and reporting on Variety Trials.
· Identify keys for accelerated breeding and variety development
· Develop, Plan and Execute strategic breeding programs for identified markets.
· Prepare and present detailed reporting on various trial results, and laboratory assessments.
· Manage, implement and report weekly Field/Greenhouse Observation Reports.
· Manage, implement and report Bi-weekly Greenhouse Management reports.
· Seed quality assessment and inventory
· Bulk cross/Seed production implementation and management
· Liaise with local and international research community on breeding and research projects.
· Doctorate or Master’s in Plant Genetics/Plant Breeding/Agrobiotechnology
· Experience with plant breeding, evaluation and variety development – Potatoes an asset
· Experience in a laboratory setting
· Experience with greenhouse management and botanical seed production
· Drivers License Required.
· Effective time management skills.
· Excellent oral and written communications skills.
· Proven ability to establish and maintain harmonious working relationships with others.
· Proven ability to work independently or as part of a team.
· Proficiency in the use of the computer and Microsoft office programs.
KEY MEASURES OF SUCCESS
· Strong knowledge and creativity of how to unleash the potential of the potato.
· Good working relationships with fellow employées, management and stakeholders
· Living the values of Tuberosum
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent