Note: This role is only open to candidates with 2+ years of experience in a manager role in a high volume retail/grocery environment.
The Department Manager, Produce is accountable for the successful day-to-day operation of the produce department. This includes the implementation of company standards, the management of company assets, attention to maintaining a local competitive position, and the development and training of staff. The incumbent supports the rest of the store management team and fosters positive customer relationships.
More than just retail.
Come make a difference.
The Northern/NorthMart stores currently have exciting opportunities for full-time, permanent employment in retail stores across the North. This is an excellent opportunity to join a team where your experience and work ethic are appreciated and rewarded. With Northern/NorthMart, you’re encouraged to learn and grow on the job and to explore the beauty and the culture of the communities in which we live and work.
Are you a couple? Friends, siblings or just two colleagues that get along really well? We are looking for enthusiastic and highly motivated retail professionals who welcome the opportunities for career advancement that we have to offer. If you are customer service leaders with a passion for being part of a hardworking retail team
Northern/NorthMart offers rewarding experiences and unique opportunities for growth.
- Competitive salaries
- Comprehensive benefits package
- Allowances for both food and accommodation
- Paid training
Provide excellent customer service by delivering on the Value Offer.
- Focus on customer service as a top priority by creating strong customer relationships and providing excellent customer service
- Monitor and adjust customer service levels as needed
Deal with customer complaints and requests quickly and effectively
- Address and respond to all customer inquiries
- Ensure an enjoyable shopping experience for customers
- Schedule staff to maximize customer service and fulfill business needsManage the Produce Department to maximize sales and profits.
- Ensure that the Produce Departments is ready for business, stocked and maintained through out the day.
- Ensure that product is ordered according to planned timelines and criteria
- Fully support and participate in all advertising campaigns and P.O.P strategies as directed through Procurement and Marketing
- Ensure that seasonal and promotional merchandising is planned and executed to maximize sales, profits and create customer excitement
- Ensure produce displays are per marketing directions
- Complete business segment inventories as required
- Monitor gross profit; investigate and rectify variances
- Monitor and control inventory levels by ordering product weekly; minimize over/under stocks, maximize in-stocks to develop sales, inventory turns and return on investment
- Monitor inventory levels and shrink reduction; rotate stock to guarantee freshness
Ensure that the daily operating disciplines, as described in the Produce Manual are consistently met.
- Adhere to the department cleaning schedule and to all approved cleaning/ sanitation techniques.
- Responsible for crisping, trimming, wrapping and displaying produce in merchandise cases and on produce tables.
- Ensure that product preparation areas, merchandise cases, tables and equipment are clean, safe and sanitary.
- Ensure that product is correctly received, inspected, cleaned, dated, priced, stored and rotated upon receipt (FIFO)
- Ensure that product is packaged according to company standards
- Maintain equipment as directed by the manufacturer and Facility Maintenance.
- Ensure equipment is calibrated and working properly.
- Maintain 52 week file and records
Support, train and develop staff so that staff provides outstanding customer service, and are familiar with the correct handling and preparation of products.
- Through on-going communication keep staff abreast of key activities
- Manage staff schedules in order to meet customer and business needs
- Supervise, coach and develop employees
- Work with supervisors to recruit, train, lead and develop produce employees
Skills and Qualifications
We’re looking for professional, organized workers who have a healthy sense of adventure and a strong knowledge and experience base.
- A minimum of two years of experience in a high-volume grocery/retail environment
- Strong customer service skills.
- Record of bottom line and sales results in previous roles.
- Ability to interpret a variety of instructions both verbally and orally.
- Computer knowledge of Excel and Outlook.
- Strong knowledge of grocery operating principles.
- Exceptional analytical, problem solving and decision making skills with a high attention to detail
- Proven organizational, planning and prioritizing skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication, interpersonal skills and superior customer service skills
- Must have the ability and desire to develop an in-depth understanding of Northern/NorthMart customers
- Demonstrates a personal and enthusiastic commitment to Northern/NorthMart's vision, mission, values and strategies
- Highly motivated and adventurous with an appreciation for small town life in a culturally diverse setting considered an asset
- Work in extreme conditions
- Lift 50+ pounds
- Work extended hours
- Will be required to stand for long periods occasionally.
- Use full hand mechanics
- Handle or feel and reach with hands and arms
- Work in remote areas
Our Promise to Indigenous Peoples
The North West Company ("NWC" or "North West") recognizes its longstanding relationship with Indigenous Peoples and its role as the largest provider of goods and services to Indigenous communities in northern Canada. North West’s predecessor entities were fur trading and provisioning companies that economically intertwined with Indigenous Nations for hundreds of years, well before the accelerated settler periods of the 19th and early 20th centuries. North West acknowledges its predecessors were also instruments of European sovereignty and power that contributed to the colonization of Indigenous territories and Nations that make up the geography of Canada today. In the spirit of Truth and Reconciliation, we acknowledge Canada’s colonial history and the policies of racism that created power imbalances throughout history and the resulting harm done to Indigenous Peoples.
Our Promise to Indigenous Peoples is a reaffirmed commitment to building more collaborative relationships that will enhance the inclusion and social well-being of Indigenous People of Canada. We fully commit to the spirit of reconciliation reflected in the Truth and Reconciliation Commission’s Calls to Action and final report.
Help Us Serve Rural and Remote Communities
The North West Company plays a critical role in serving rural and remote communities across Canada’s north. Customers trust our Northern stores and NorthMart stores to provide the products and services that make their lives better. In turn, we trust our in-store personnel to deliver! If you are considering a career in the north, we offer excellent compensation and the freedom to make a store your own. You’ll have the rare opportunity of experiencing life in the north, with its outdoor activities and culturally engaged communities. We put our full support, including first-rate training, behind you. Many of our most successful operators worked their way up through our stores. If you are ready for adventure and hungry for a meaningful, wide-open career, take a look at what we have to offer.
We’d love to hear from all workers who are motivated to thrive professionally and personally while making a difference in multiple communities across the North. We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
CANDIDATES MUST BE WILLING TO RELOCATE TO MULTIPLE MARKETS IN THE NORTHERNMOST REGIONS OF ALBERTA, MANITOBA, ONTARIO, SASKATCHEWAN, QUEBEC, NUNAVUT, AND NORTHWEST TERRITORIES. RELOCATION ARRANGEMENTS WILL BE MADE AND PAID FOR BY THE NORTH WEST COMPANY.
The North West Company is proud to serve and support communities in Northern Canada, Western Canada, rural Alaska, the South Pacific islands, and the Caribbean. Our stores offer a broad range of products and services with an emphasis on food, and our goal is to be the best local shopping choice for everyday household and local lifestyle needs.
Job Type: Full-time
Work Location: In person