Exciting opportunity for a motivated and talented individual seeking to join a dynamic organization and play a pivotal role in the company’s growth plan. Please note, experience is secondary to talent, aptitude, and character!
Comprehensive Care Capital (CCC) was created as an affiliate of the Rosdev Group, focusing primarily on the ownership and acquisition health care real estate (HCRE). CCC offers exceptional and distinct approaches to acquisitions, asset management and deal flow in the HCRE space. CCC represents the heft of a major HCRE player in terms of capital, knowledge and experience with the typical acquisition restrictions. CCC provides innovative and creative solutions in considering challenging, complex deals where others cannot or will not engage. The CCC team combines traditional business values with nimble turnaround, best practices and transparency in its interaction and communications with its trading partners. CCC strives to imbue trust, precision, creativity and professionalism as the cornerstones of each target transaction. CCC has completed numerous one-off and portfolio acquisitions from both private sellers as well as national and institutional companies such as HCP, ManorCare and SavaSeniorCare since its inception in Q4, 2015. CCC’s HCRE portfolio (inclusive of the Rosdev healthcare assets) consists of roughly 60 healthcare facilities across 8 states comprised of more than 7,000 beds/units.
THE LEGAL OFFICER POSITION
The Legal Officer is a key member of the team, supporting both personal and business initiatives and will report directly to the managing principal. The Legal Officer works both autonomously as well as jointly with outside council in a complex and changing environment where legal, regulatory and reputational risks must be constantly considered.
The Legal Officer contributes to the group’s success by drafting, reviewing, critiquing and revising legal forms and documents, preparing legal summaries, and providing administrative and legal assistance regarding the various forms, procedures and correspondence submitted to the group. The Legal Officer is in charge of gathering information, as well as developing policies and legal forms for company use. The Legal Officer is an active participant in all aspects of deal structuring and negotiations, and in tracking financial considerations resulting from the various aspects of deal structure. The Legal Officer manages and maintains the numerous corporate entries relating to the company, including formation of new entities as the company continues to scale up. As part of his/her duties, the Legal Officer has access to sensitive and confidential data and must exercise discretion and show restraint. In addition, sound judgment, organizational skills and ability to meet deadlines are essential. The Legal Officer communicates and maintains relations not only with his/her colleagues on the team, but also with the group’s various stakeholders as well as outside counsel.
Reporting to the Managing Principal and the executive team, you will be appreciated for your talent, your extraordinary level of motivation, your energy, your intuition, your flexibility and adaptability. The working environment is challenging, fast-paced and highly volatile, with tight time-frames, in which the asset value is driven by the service it provides. You will be encouraged to contribute your own approaches and problem-solving capabilities for recommendations and proposals, in a working culture where synergy is the ultimate aim – a culture where “the smartest idea in the room wins”.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Prepare, review and critique first draft of legal documents, including leases, partnership and operating agreements, JV agreements and any related agreements.
- Prepare subsequent drafts of documents based upon discussions with the team, outside council and subject to negotiations with stakeholders and partners
- Participate in negotiations with stakeholders and partners as necessary
- Coordinate legal conferences
- Responsible for tracking key loan, lease and real estate contract dates and ensuring deadlines and or commitments are met
- Compile Lease, Loan, Partnership and JV Summaries and track changes as they occur
- Preparing and revising internal forms, correspondence and procedures
- communication with stakeholders, investors, lenders partners and operators, gathering of information, and liaison with outside lawyers
- letters, memos, etc. of a confidential nature, which may be drafted independently for review, or may be prepared from dictation or hard copy.
- Drafting or review of various types of agreements (e.g. non-disclosure agreements, services agreements) between company and third parties.
- Provide legal advices and opinions as required by the managing principal, Business Development and accounting
- Enter and maintain information in legal document status reports
- Maintain a diary system to ensure appropriate follow up and retrieval of documentation using and enhancing the company filing system.
- Compose, type, distribute and file correspondence pertaining to documentation.
- Perform administrative duties, including typing, distributing/delivering correspondence, photocopying, faxing, organizing and maintaining files and answering phones
- Opening and closing of files (legal relating to new operator tenants, lenders and investors), saving legal documents to the file server, scanning and photocopying.
- Take a lead role in creating and enhancing a filing structure and process for paper files as well as electronic files.
- Prepare various correspondences to operators, managers and stakeholders relating to debt service, rental charges, increases, etc. In accordance with deal structure
- Maintain tracking spreadsheets for Loans and other property related chargeback transfer of responsibility with operators and managers
- Produce various reports needed by the accounting department, including lease and loan summary updates
- Keep track of Real Estate Tax, and insurance certificates for all tenants and ensure updated versions are received in a timely manner.
- Coordinate administrative tasks e.g.: accounting; opening and closing files; docketing; billing; etc.
- Handle all corporate matters on all US and Canadian entities
- Handling and follow-up of inquiries from tax and regulatory authorities
- Do Corporate and Land Titles searches as required
- Handle Formation and Management of corporate structure and entities including filings, org structure
- Register for and be approved as a notary public, Commisioner of Oaths
Qualifications and Skills
- University degree or college diploma in Legal studies or equivalent work experience
- Experience as a real estate attorney a plus
- Seniors housing or Health Care background are viewed as an asset.
- Fast, accurate keyboarding skills and strong proofreading skills
- Strong computer skills (Microsoft Suite, Word and Excel in particular)
- Ability to analyze, interpret and understand the significance of all deal structure aspects
- Keen attention to detail
- Must have a thorough knowledge and aptitude for numbers
- Ability to work well with a team as well as independently, self motivated.
- Excellent oral and written comprehension and communication in English. French a valuable plus
- Ability to interact at all organizational levels
- Sound judgment
- Solid organizational skills, highly organized and efficient in work planning.
- Able to prioritize and to redefine priorities when necessary.
- Experience and discretion in handling confidential and sensitive documents
- Ability to establish a relationship of trust and in maintaining professional relations with stakeholders, partners, outside council and third parties
- Problem-solving, critical thinking and negotiating skills
- Ability to be proactive and demonstrate initiative to set up improvements/ enhancements
- Produce a high quality and quantity of work product, occasionally under tight timelines.
- Handle stress in a business-like manner.
- Patience and Tact
This is a full-time position, with salary commensurate with experience as it relates to job requirements, and with growth potential as CCC expands and deepens its portfolio and its team.
You will NOT wish to be considered if:
- you are not up for daily challenge in a highly energized, fast paced environment;
- you do not believe you can bring your “A” game every day;
- you are not willing to be held to the highest moral and ethical standards.
- you're not ready to learn and assimilate new approaches, new skills, new ideas and new concepts, every single day;
- you are not ready to completely take on and immerse yourself in a vision that requires our values of collaboration, communication and transparency, humility and creativity;
- you are expecting to be told what to do at every turn;
- you're not willing to bring your own ideas and your own creative solutions to problems;
- you are not ready to innovate;
- you're not ready to be intellectually honest with yourself, in terms of your character and your qualities, both positive and negative;
- you are not ready to strive for perfection in every aspect of your professional life;
- you're not ready to be mentally challenged, rigorously, unflinchingly, and consistently;
- you are not ready to work alongside, collaborate with, support and keep up with team members that have a tremendous energy and rigor that matches your own.
Please note, experience is secondary to talent, aptitude, and character!
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $40,000.00 to $60,000.00 /year
- Legal Research: 2 years (Preferred)
- Real Estate Law: 2 years (Preferred)