Western Zone, Soldiers' Memorial Hospital
60063031 MHA WZ Schools Plus Program
Type of Employment:
Permanent Hourly FT (100% FTE) x 1 position(s)
Healthcare Bargaining Unit - CUPE
Posting Closing Date:
Applications are accepted until 11:59 PM on the Closing Date.
Nova Scotia Health Authority is the largest provider of health services in Nova Scotia. We are over 22,000 employees who provide health care and support services in hospitals, health centres and community-based programs throughout Nova Scotia.
Nova Scotia Health Authority provides health services to Nova Scotians and some specialized services to Maritimers and Atlantic Canadians. We operate hospitals, health centres and community-based programs across the province. Our team of health professionals includes employees, doctors, researchers, learners and volunteers that provide the health care or services you may need. This is accomplished across four geographic management zones which are responsible for the operation of acute care health centres and the provision of a variety of inpatient, outpatient services including academic, tertiary, quaternary care and community based programs and services including continuing care, primary health care, public health, and mental health and addictions.
Reporting to the Manager, Child & Adolescent Mental Health & Addictions, the Social Worker functions as a member of both the AVRSB Schools Plus team and the Child & Adolescent MH&A team. The purpose of this position is to support the Schools Plus team with Mental Health related areas of concern. The main responsibilities of this position will be to: 1) work within the Schools Plus model and refer to the formal mental health system as required; 2) provide early identification and intervention, screening, consultation, navigation, brief intervention; and 3) co-facilitate groups/workshops within the schools. The SW lll will also connect with Child & Adolescent MH&A team for professional development opportunities, clinical case reviews, mentoring and supervision, and provide ‘Choice’ appointments for the formal mental health system at the current Schools Plus sites. The Social Worker will practice the principles and philosophy of CAPA (Choice and Partnership Approach) in all areas of position responsibility.
The Social Worker ensures that the principles and practices that guide NSHA such as the mission, vision, values, expected behaviours, the leadership philosophy, organizational health, population health, ethics, safety, quality, partnerships and inter-professional collaboration are integrated within the services they provide and through the messages they deliver.
Schools Plus is a collaborative model that is comprehensive and student focused. Multiple partners work together to educate and provide service to the whole child and family, with the school as the centre of service. Working within the Schools Plus Model, the clinician will report to the Child and Adolescent Manager, Mental Health and Addictions, for all clinical duties pertaining to individuals, groups and families. The clinician is a member of the multidisciplinary team and participates in the planning, development, provision and evaluation of mental health services for the assigned population in designated school settings.
Recruitment incentives and relocation may be offered to the successful candidate based on qualifying criteria.
- Masters of Social Work
- Current registration with the NSCSW, or eligible to become registered, required.
- Two (2) years clinical experience required, practicum training or experience in the child and youth mental health outpatient field is an asset.
- Ongoing professional development is required.
- Ongoing development related to information systems (such as SAP and Meditech).
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Powerpoint and Outlook).
- Competence in assessment, intervention (individual, family and group) and research.
- Ability to communicate fluently in French, both verbally and in writing.
- Knowledge of mental illness.
- Knowledge of DSM V.
- Knowledge of health promotion and community resources/development.
- Demonstrated accountability.
- Demonstrated judgment and decision-making skills.
- Strong client focus and ability to lead solid client/practitioner relationships.
- Demonstrated communication and conflict-resolution skills.
- Demonstrated collaboration and teamwork skills.
- Committed to continuous improvement and innovation.
- Demonstrated leadership abilities.
- Demonstrated planning, organization and time management skills.
- Commitment to promoting a culture of respect that supports safety, ethical practices, cultural awareness and organizational health.
- Physical and mental capabilities to perform the duties of the position, including working alone or with team members in the community setting; working flexible hours, including evenings; dealing with time-sensitive, stressful situations; travelling within the Western Zone geographical area as necessary.
- Competencies in other languages an asset, French preferred.
- Successful applicants are required to provide a Criminal Record Check, Vulnerable Sector Check and Child Abuse Registry check before starting employment and assume any associated costs as a condition of employment.
Applicants relying on education and experience equivalencies must clearly state such equivalencies in their cover letter, resume, or application. Additionally, candidates will not be considered for an interview if applications are incomplete or are missing information.
Hours of Work
Permanent Full-time (100%) Position; 75.00 Hours Bi-weekly.
Travel to other sites is required, must have access to reliable vehicle.
This position will support West Kings Family of Schools and the home site will be Solider's Memorial Hospital.
Recruitment incentives and relocation may be offered to the successful candidates based on qualifying criteria.
Social Worker lll (HC 87):
$34.1283 - $44.8646 hourly
Thank you for your interest in this position. Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted. Typically interviews are held within three to four weeks of the closing date.
Successful external applicants will be required to submit the below documents and assume any associated costs as a condition of employment. Additional documentation such as banking & proof of identity will be included in your offer letter.
Criminal Record Check
Proof of education & training certifications
Proof of any additional required qualification
Valid registration with the relevant licensing body
Submission of immunization record along with health assessment documentation
Proof of SIN number
Hiring Process will depend on the timeliness of delivering the above. This is a Healthcare bargaining unit - CUPE position. Preference is given to bargaining unit employees for unionized positions. Nova Scotia Health Authority is proud to provide a smoke free and scent free environment. Only online applications are accepted.
Nova Scotia Health Authority (NSHA) is committed to being a workforce that is free of discrimination, values diversity and is representative, at all job levels, of the people we serve. Our priority groups are Aboriginal People, African Nova Scotians, Persons with Disabilities and Recent Immigrants. Members of these groups are welcome to apply and self-identify if they wish to be considered under our Employment Equity policy.
Follow us on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/NSHA.Recruitment/