Airports Council International (ACI) is the only global trade representative of the world’s airports. Established in 1991, ACI represents airports interests with Governments and international organizations such as ICAO, develops standards, policies, and recommended practices for airports, and provides information and training opportunities to raise standards around the world.
ACI is looking for a Head, Economic Analysis and Statistical Services.
The ideal candidate:
- Is a seasoned expert on the economics of air transport, airports, and the drivers of air transport demand;
- Has a strong quantitative grounding and analytical skills to generate insightful information, data and tools;
- Possesses both management and technical acumen to lead a team of economists, forecasters and statisticians;
- Is a strong communicator both oral and written;
- Enjoys travelling internationally;
- Represents the ACI World values of Integrity, Member Focus, Professionalism and Teamwork
Reporting to the Director, Economics the position is based in Montreal, the world’s international hub for organizations involved in aerospace and aviation. It offers candidates a unique opportunity to work in a global environment for the delivery of analytical insights for the broader aviation community.
About this opportunity:
The Head, Economic Analysis and Statistical Services, possesses extensive experience in distilling complex business concepts from data and propelling intellectual capital for the purpose of driving evidence-based decision making for the airport industry; In addition to advancing the development of data dissemination tools and other analytical outputs, the candidate will have expert-level authorship and “storytelling” skills in drafting text and discourse based on internationally comparable data and other substantive “big data” sets for large scale reports for both specialist audiences and/or the general public;
Management of analytical outputs, tools and data driven publications
- Manage analytical deliverables and data-driven outputs related to airport economics, airport traffic and forecasts;
- Manage section staff (6 staff total) including review and monitoring of work plans, timelines, prioritization of activities, development of staff through coaching and appropriate training;
- Lead and author the World Airport Traffic Report; Contribute written analyses to the ACI Airport Economics Report; Oversee the production and milestones related to the Airport Key Performance indicators and the World Airport Traffic Forecasts;
- Lead the content development of new products and member services related to the electronic dissemination and visualization of aviation data and indicators in coordination with internal marketing teams/product managers, analysts and information technology staff;
- Produce analytic commentary on the state of the industry for inclusion in press releases, reports, speeches, presentations and working papers;
- Lead the development of institutional research, strategic analyses, key performance indicators, measurement methodologies in the area of airport economics and airport traffic statistics with synergies across other areas (e.g. Environment, Service quality/Customer experience, Security, etc.);
- Manage consultants employed by ACI in areas of subject matter expertise; Oversee deliverables and budgetary aspects of contracts to ensure quality outputs
Represent ACI as a subject-matter expert
- Partner, liaise and lead activities with other international organizations (e.g. ICAO, IATA, ACI regional offices, etc.), airport operators and private companies in the exchange of information, analytics, data, methodologies, forecasts and economic research;
- Deliver presentations in support of capacity building and advocacy initiatives for ACI Members, regulators and other stakeholders;
- Represent ACI as secretary for the Airport Traffic Think Tank (ACI Statistics/Forecasting Sub-Committee);
- Participate in the ICAO Panels and working groups (e.g. Aviation Data and Analysis Panel and Airport Economics Panel);
- Support Director Economics on activities related to the ACI World Economics Standing Committee and other airport member working groups;
- Contribute to agenda development of conferences and meetings; Represent ACI in meetings and other related fora in area of subject matter expertise;
Technical knowledge, skills, and abilities
- Minimum of 8 years of experience as a professional economist, researcher or aviation statistician with a robust quantitative grounding in the latest data sciences coupled with a background in economic consulting, financial modelling, quantitative policy analysis, international data collections and standardization, advanced business analytics, forecasting and/or econometric techniques;
- Of which: 3 years’ experience in the management, supervision and development of staff with quantitative-oriented skill sets for the delivery of analytical outputs;
- Advanced university degree in a quantitative discipline (e.g. Business Analytics, Economics, Econometrics, Corporate Finance, Industrial organization, Operations Research, Statistics, Decision Sciences, Mathematics, Industrial Engineering, Business Administration, etc.) or aviation-related studies with a significant economic and quantitative component at an advanced level.
- Advanced analytical and drafting skills to interpret economic, social, political and other events affecting air transport demand based on raw data required;
- Knowledge of data visualization tools, data dissemination applications and dashboard creation (e.g. Power BI, Tableau or QlikView) required;
- Knowledge of financial statement analysis, financial ratio interpretation and applied economic analysis a definite asset;
- Strong quantitative and computer skills; Advanced proficiency in MS Office (Excel, Access and Word); Adept with statistical packages, VBA, SQL, R, Python and/or other programming skills a definite asset;
Should this position interest you, please send your resume and cover letter (including salary expectations). Applicants may undergo testing through written examinations.
Job Type: Full-time
- management: 3 years (Preferred)
- economics: 8 years (Preferred)
- Bachelor's Degree (Preferred)