Transport Canada - Digital Services Directorate
Moncton (New Brunswick), St. John's (Newfoundland and Labrador), Dartmouth (Nova Scotia)
Indeterminate, Specified Period, Deployment, Assignment, Secondment, Acting
$56,907 to $73,333 (Salary Under Review)
For further information on the organization, please visit Transport Canada
Interested in some tips on how to apply for this job? Check out this video!
1 April 2020 - 23:59, Pacific Time
Who can apply:
Persons residing in Canada and Canadian citizens residing abroad.
We are committed to providing an inclusive and barrier-free work environment, starting with the hiring process. If you need to be accommodated during any phase of the evaluation process, please use the Contact information below to request specialized accommodation. All information received in relation to accommodation will be kept confidential.
***VERY IMPORTANT NOTE:
It is the responsibility of the candidate to clearly outline that they meet each of the screening criteria (i.e. Education, Occupational Certification and Experience Qualifications, both Essential and Assets). Please note that it is not sufficient to only state that the requirement is met or to provide a listing of current responsibilities, rather the candidate must provide concrete examples that illustrate how they meet the requirement. Failure to do so could result in the application being rejected from the process.
Please carefully read the "Other Information" section of this advertisement as there is important information regarding your application.
A SMART CAREER MOVE!
Apply today for an opportunity to join Transport Canada.
We are looking for dynamic candidates that will help shape and build the future of Transport Canada. The persons selected will have the opportunity to increase their experience and expertise. We look forward to hearing from you!
Transport Canada employs over 5,000 talented and motivated employees working in the Atlantic, Quebec, Ontario, Prairie and Northern, Pacific regions, and at our Ottawa headquarters. We develop policies and enforce acts and regulations that support transportation efficiency, safety, security, durability, and align with global standards. Our vision is of a safe, secure, durable, innovative and integrated transportation system that supports trade and economic growth, a cleaner environment and the wellbeing of Canada’s middle class. Our transportation agenda thrives to adopt new ways of thinking about how we deliver services and oversee the transportation system.
TC has a lot to offer:
- Competitive salaries with annual increases
- Continuous learning and career advancement
- Up to 3 weeks of vacation per year
- Flexible work arrangements – possibility of teleworking and compressed work weeks to help you balance your personal and work life
- Advantageous pension regime and benefits
Intent of the process
A pool of qualified candidates may be established to staff positions on a permanent or temporary basis, in various Atlantic Regions as indicated on the poster. These positions may be staffed on an indeterminate (which could include deployments for employees that are already employed at level) or temporary basis (term, acting, assignment or secondment).
Positions to be filled:
Number to be determined
Information you must provide
In order to be considered, your application must clearly explain how you meet the following (essential qualifications)
Successful completion of two (2) years of an acceptable post-secondary educational program in computer science, information technology, information management or another specialization relevant to the position being staffed, OR an *acceptable combination of education and experience.
- The acceptable combination is defined as having a secondary school diploma in addition to a minimum of approximately (2) years of experience in the Information Technology (IT) field.
It is the candidate's responsibility to obtain all required documentation as outlined in the notes below.
1. Indeterminate period incumbents of positions in the CS group on May 10, 1999, who do not possess the education prescribed above are deemed to meet the minimum education standards based on their education, training and/or experience. They must be accepted as having met the minimum education standard whenever this standard is called for when staffing positions in the CS group. The candidate MUST identify on his or her application if he or she is grandfathered, as such.
2. It is a recognized educational institution (e.g., community college, CÉGEP or university) that determines if the courses taken by a candidate correspond to two years of a post-secondary program at the institution. Candidates will be required to submit proof of education during the assessment phase of the staffing process.
3. At the manager's discretion, an acceptable combination of education, training and/or experience may serve as an alternative to the minimum post-secondary education stated above. Whenever the minimum education is met via this alternative, it is met for the specific position only and must be re-assessed for other positions for which this alternative has been specified by the manager.
4. Foreign educational credentials must be assessed by a recognized credential assessment service. If the candidate has been educated outside of Canada, it is the candidate's responsibility to have his or her certificates and/or diplomas assessed against Canadian educational standards. Candidates will be required to submit proof of education during the assessment phase of the staffing process. Guidance may be found at the Canadian Information Centre for International Credentials (CICIC) at http://www.cicic.ca/.
Recent* experience or an acceptable combination of education, knowledge and experience of providing on-site or telephone information technology (IT) support services to clients
Recent* experience in installing, configuring, troubleshooting and providing detailed support to hardware and software in a Microsoft Windows 10 network environment
Recent* experience in providing support or coaching related to the use of information technology via telephone, email, or in person
- Recent experience is defined as experience acquired within the last three (3) years
If you possess any of the following, your application must also clearly explain how you meet it (other qualifications)
Experience within a call center environment or within an IT support service environment
Experience using ticket tracking systems
Experience in supporting, installing and troubleshooting smartphone devices (iOS and Android)
Experience using and supporting Cloud technologies
Experience using Microsoft Active Directory
Experience using SCCM
Experience managing small projects
Experience in preparing technical documentation, such as, but not limited to: procedures, user guides, IM/IT requirements or technical notes to internal or external clients
The following will be applied / assessed at a later date (essential for the job)
Various language requirements
- English Essential
- Bilingual Imperative CBC/CBC
Information on language requirements
Second Language Writing Skills Self-Assessment
In order to help you decide if you should apply to a bilingual position, an optional self-assessment of your writing skills in your second official language is available for you to take before completing your application.
For more information, please consult:
Unsupervised Internet Test of Second Language Writing Skills
- Ability to provide advice to clients on IT matters
- Ability to prioritize work
- Ability to communicate effectively in writing
- Ability to communicate effectively orally
- Client service orientation
- Team Work
The following may be applied / assessed at a later date (may be needed for the job)
Willingness and ability to work overtime as required
Willingness and ability to work in a virtual environment
Willingness and ability to travel on occasion
Conditions of employment
Reliability Status security clearance
Must possess a valid driver's license or personal mobility to the degree normally associated with possession of a valid driver's license
The job requires transporting, lifting and setting down equipment that can weigh up to 20kg
The Public Service of Canada is committed to building a skilled and diverse workforce that reflects the Canadians we serve. We promote employment equity and encourage you to indicate if you belong to one of the designated groups when you apply.
Information on employment equity
For this selection process, our intention is to communicate with applicants by e-mail for screening/assessment purposes (including issuing screening results, and sending invitations for written tests and interviews. Candidates must include a valid email address in their application. It is the candidate's responsibility to ensure that this address is functional and that it accepts messages from unknown users (some email systems block these types of email). It is recommended to include an alternate email address in your profile. It is also the candidate's responsibility to ensure accurate information is provided and updated as required.
Candidates invited to an interview will be required to bring proof of their education credentials, in the form of a diploma or official transcript.
Your application and your answers to the screening questions may be used to assess your ability to communicate effectively in writing.
Persons are entitled to participate in the appointment process in the official language of their choice. Please indicate your preferred official language in your application.
Preference will be given to veterans and to Canadian citizens, in that order, with the exception of a job located in Nunavut, where Nunavut Inuit will be appointed first.
Information on the preference to veterans
We thank all those who apply. Only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.