Active Support Against Poverty Housing Society
General Manager – Housing and Shelter Operations
Active Support Against Poverty is a non profit organization committed to social justice. We believe that everyone has a right to dignity and respect. We strive to ensure our values are reflected in the way we treat our clients, our constituencies and each other. All members of our staff are responsible for projecting our values in our everyday work.
Under the direction of the Executive Director and Board of Directors the General Manager – Housing and Shelter Operations will be responsible for a variety of duties in providing services to homeless at risk clients. The General Manager – Housing and Shelter Operations is a member of the Management Team.
The General Manager – Housing and Shelter Operations will assist in fostering non-judgmental service to vulnerable individuals while maintaining an effective, efficient, flexible and supportive work environment with the team.
The General Manager – Housing and Shelter Operations will perform their duties in compliance with the Society’s goals, objectives and policies. Duties will be performed in an efficient and professional manner.
Summary of Duties
The Active Support Against Poverty Housing Society Homeless at Risk Project provides permanent and emergency housing to marginalized people. The General Manager – Housing and Shelter Operations provides assistance and support to these special needs clients, ensuring the safety, cleanliness and security of the clients and the living environment while encouraging the most independence possible. The General Manager – Housing and Shelter will work with staff to motivate and stimulate a greater quality of life. Responsibilities of the General Manager – Housing and Shelter Operations are complex in nature and require a high degree of individual initiative and problem solving skill. The General Manager – Housing and Shelter Operations will be responsible for all aspects of daily operations including staffing, in an union environment.
- To assist in the implementation, control and evaluation of the tenant and shelter programs ensuring that the mandate of minimal barrier, non judgmental, flexible services are adhered to.
- Responsible for maintaining professional and constructive relationships with community agencies, government, neighborhood and funders. To liaise and work with these partners to ensure access to and efficient use of resources.
- To assist in interviewing and hiring qualified personnel and provide orientation in accordance with the ASAP Housing Society’s program. To maintain employee standards and morale. To hold regular staff team meetings.
- To provide overall direction and leadership to all staff. To evaluate employee performance. To discipline and/or terminate employees as required. Responsible for 24 hour staff scheduling, assignments of duties and/or delegation of responsibilities and work loads. To inform staff of executive and Board decisions guiding them through any policy or procedural changes required. Oversee staff development including scheduling of any in-house services and other training pertinent to the care of the Society’s clients.
- Interprets and administer provisions of the Collective Agreement, recommends changes to the collective agreement wording to serve the Society’s interest in achieving operational goals and objectives. Will investigate and resolve grievances, attend and may participate in hearings and negotiations.
- Ensures that operations comply with all required regulations and contractual agreements, Health and Safety Standards and Regulations including Food Safe and WHMIS.
- To assist in development and implementation of all policies for both the tenant and shelter programs including: personnel, client, physical plant, etc. To assist in development, implementation of program objectives, including short and long term goals.
- To assist in development and maintenance of all necessary documentation and reporting systems to maintain accurate records and communications for programs.
- To assist in maintenance of program budget controls by implementing management policies and procedures of purchasing, ordering, stock and inventory control. Responsible for maintaining inventory of all supplies and/or tools required to administer all programs.
- To ensure clientele’s rights of privacy, dignity and confidentiality are maintained except in the proper operation of business.
- To prepare a variety of reports for the Executive Director and Board of Directors as required.
- Investigates complaints and accept suggestions concerning the operation of the programs and instigates appropriate action or refer recommended action to the Management team.
- Participates as a member of the management team working closely with other ASAPHS and ASAP programs, ensuring co-ordination; co-operatively identifying and addressing service needs.
- Attends approved work related workshops, conferences and seminars to promote and maintain professional development.
- To assist in development and implementation of pro-active maintenance and cleaning policies and procedures including daily, short term and long term, to ensure cleanliness, safety, emergency back-up systems and applicable standards are maintained for clients and physical plant.
- To work in and promote a team environment to ensure a safe and caring atmosphere. To be flexible and spontaneous in order to support clients, staff and the general team, when issues arise.
- The General Manager – Housing and Shelter Operations requires the ability to be primary on call contact.
- All other duties as required.
*Minimum Grade 12, some post secondary in a relevant field preferred
*Minimum 4 years experience in a management position preferably with a non profit organization
*Basic First Aid Certificate, Food Safe and WHMIS
*Bondable and pass a criminal records check
Skills and Abilities
*Demonstrated strong ability to deal with others effectively and supervise
*Demonstrated ability to manage high workload with multiple priorities
*Excellent planning and organizational skills
*Demonstrated good judgment skills, tact and discretion
*Experience with supervision, 24 hour scheduling, training and evaluation of staff
*Proven and excellent problem solving skills
*Demonstrated suitability to work with disadvantaged and challenging adults in diverse environment
and maintain appropriate client/worker boundaries
*Demonstrated ability to work independently and with minimal direction
*Demonstrated ability to perform the duties of the job
*Excellent proficiency with computers, written and oral communication skills a necessity
*Proven ability to be motivated and provide leadership to a team
*Familiar with local community resources an asset
*Experience working with the provisions of a Collective Agreement an asset
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $26.20 /hour
- Management: 4 years (Preferred)
- general manager: 1 year (Preferred)