Please note that if you have applied on the selection process 20-STC-EA-NCR-721-306, please do not submit your application for this process, you will be considered within that selection process. This is an extension of the previous job advertisement.
$57,430 to $61,877
25 February 2020 - 23:59, Pacific Time
Who can apply:
Persons residing in Canada and Canadian citizens residing abroad.
We are committed to providing an inclusive and barrier-free work environment, starting with the hiring process. If you need to be accommodated during any phase of the evaluation process, please use the Contact information below to request specialized accommodation. All information received in relation to accommodation will be kept confidential.
** Please note that if you have applied on the selection process 20-STC-EA-NCR-721-306, please do not submit your application for this process, you will be considered within that selection process. This is an extension of the previous job advertisement.
ONLY ONLINE APPLICATIONS WILL BE ACCEPTED. All job applications must therefore be submitted through the jobs.gc.ca site. To submit an application on-line, please select the button "Apply Online" below.
Please list and demonstrate how you meet any Asset Qualifications you may possess. The screening board cannot make any assumptions about your experience. It is not sufficient to say that you have the required qualifications or to list your current duties.
Intent of the process
The intent of the process is to staff one indeterminate position. A pool of qualified candidates may be created to fill similar positions within the Strategic Communications and Outreach Branch. These positions may have various tenures (indeterminate, determinate, acting, secondment, assignment), with various linguistic profiles (BBB/BBB, CBC/CBC, PPC/CBB) and security requirements.
Positions to be filled:
Information you must provide
In order to be considered, your application must clearly explain how you meet the following (essential qualifications)
A degree* from a recognized post secondary institution* with specialization in French studies, linguistics or translation. The degree must have been obtained or will be obtain before May 31, 2020.
- Degree: A baccalaureate or higher - level degree, as established by educational authorities.
Recent* experience in comparative editing, editing French documents and proofreading in accordance with French grammar and style rules and terminology and publication guidelines.
Recent* experience in using electronic work tools such as terminology banks and other language reference materials.
- Recent is defined by an experience acquired in the last five (5) years
The following will be applied / assessed at a later date (essential for the job)
Bilingual - Imperative (CBB/PPC)
Information on language requirements
K1: Knowledge of Statistics Canada’s activities deriving from its mandate.
K2: Knowledge of the electronic work tools used by writer-editors.
A1: Ability to work under pressure and within tight deadlines.
A2: Ability to carry out a number of tasks simultaneously.
A3: Ability to detect nuances in English texts and to edit them in French.(Code P)
A4: Ability to communicate effectively orally.
A5:Ability to communicate effectively in writing.
Attention to detail
Effective interpersonal relationships
The following may be applied / assessed at a later date (may be needed for the job)
Experience writing articles on language.
Regular working hours are between 7:00 a.m. and 6:00 p.m.
Ability and availability to work overtime on short notice
The Public Service of Canada is committed to building a skilled and diverse workforce that reflects the Canadians we serve. We promote employment equity and encourage you to indicate if you belong to one of the designated groups when you apply.
Information on employment equity
- Please note that all written communication relating to this process may be used to assess the ability to communicate effectively in writing.*
1. Candidates are entitled to participate in the selection process in the official language of their choice.
2. All applications must be submitted online through GC Jobs (https://www.canada.ca/en/services/jobs/opportunities/government.html). Do not email, fax or mail in applications as these will not be accepted.
3. Acknowledgment of receipt of applications will not be sent. Applicants who are screened in to this selection process will be sent further information by email regarding what to expect during subsequent phases of this selection process.
4. Various assessment tools may be used in this selection process such as a written exam, reference checks, an interview, etc.
5. Candidates will be asked to provide proof of their education credentials and certifications later in the process.
6. Depending on the number of applicants, volume management strategies such as, but not limited to, a top-down approach, cut-off scores, random selection and/or assessment may be used for the purpose of managing applications/candidates.
7. Candidates must meet the essential qualifications to be appointed to a position. However, a person may be appointed to the position even though they do not meet any or all of the asset qualifications. Notwithstanding, please note that meeting this criterion may be desirable and may be a deciding factor in choosing the person to be appointed.
8. The Public Service of Canada is committed to building a skilled, diverse workforce reflective of Canadian society. As a result, it promotes employment equity and encourages candidates to indicate voluntarily on their application if they are a woman, an Aboriginal person, a person with a disability or a member of a visible minority group.
We thank all those who apply.
Preference will be given to veterans and to Canadian citizens, in that order, with the exception of a job located in Nunavut, where Nunavut Inuit will be appointed first.
Information on the preference to veterans
We thank all those who apply. Only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.