HEAD OF DEVELOPMENT
REPORTS TO: Director & CEO
POSITION TYPE: Full-time Permanent, 35 hours per week, with flexible hours, including evenings and weekends.
REQUIREMENTS: Staff must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and adhere to all provincial public health requirements while at the AGB.
COMPENSATION: Salary $55,000, comprehensive health and dental benefits package, the potential to participate in OMERS pension plan, free onsite parking.
The Art Gallery of Burlington (AGB) seeks a development professional with fundraising, donor stewardship and management skills to lead the fundraising development activities at the AGB, including soliciting and closing major gifts, cultivating prospects and donors, building corporate and foundation support, supporting public sector grant solicitation, and planning and executing special events.
The ideal candidate will have a passion for working in the arts, and knowledge of the arts and culture sector and/or philanthropic activities related to heritage and arts organizations. We are seeking a self-motivated individual with excellent organizational skills and the ability to manage several projects at one time. You have above-average communication skills—both written and verbal—and possess excellent interpersonal skills to deal effectively with a variety of groups including internal staff, outside organizations, board members, volunteers, audiences, patrons, and donors.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Collaborate with the Executive Director to create and implement the development plan in support of revenue goals, expanding philanthropic cultivation, and aligning with strategic directions of the organization.
- Track and maintain fundraising targets, critical path(s), formulate strategies and design and implement programs to achieve annual fundraising objectives.
- Working with the Development & Fundraising Committee of the Board, develop and implement comprehensive donor strategies for securing major gifts.
- Sustain and grow donor audiences by developing partnerships, and by identifying, researching, qualifying and cultivating individual prospects from existing database and outside sources.
- Manage donor mailing lists and databases, ensuring privacy and confidentiality of donor information are respected.
- Working with Executive Director to draft fundraising proposals to foundations and corporations; prepare critical paths and assist with budgeting and reporting.
- Research and identify corporate donors and sponsors; develop a template to track corporate funding philosophy, particular areas of interest, and scope of potential gifts.
- Working with the Senior Curator and Director, Marketing & Communications draft fundraising templates for all upcoming exhibitions and educational programs.
- Manage annual fundraising events and other fundraising initiatives, including identifying and soliciting support from individual and corporate sponsors to achieve the success that is consistent with established goals and objectives.
- Oversee the fundraising component of CRM and develop a standard report to measure and track fundraising performance.
- Working with the Director, Marketing & Communications assist with content creation and distribution of development materials, including the preparation of development collateral for web content, brochures, marketing, newsletters, campaign communications, and play a key role in the design and implementation of fundraising social media strategies.
- Act as the primary staff liaison to the Development & Fundraising Committee.
- Work to further the goals and objectives of the AGB and participate actively in the institution’s life. Act in a respectful, accountable, and generous manner towards other staff, volunteers, and the general public.
- Demonstrate a positive professional presence, inspiring and building confidence both within the AGB and outside the institution among a broad range of constituencies.
- Demonstrates a commitment to the AGB’s Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion priorities, ensuring that diverse audiences are represented, promoted, and engaged.
Direct oversight and supervision of the following positions:
The ideal candidate is an ambitious and collaborative thinker with a strong sense of vision, creativity and an entrepreneurial spirit. In addition, they possess a dynamic personality, excellent written and verbal communication, customer service and interpersonal skills, solid project management, impeccable attention to detail, adaptability, multitasking and time management skills.
- Related education or work experience, preferably in the area of cultural and arts management, business administration, fundraising, sales or communications.
- Experience writing copy for the purposes of communicating value of a service or product.
- Proven ability to work on a variety of projects simultaneously, to problem solve independently and manage workflows and deadlines without supervision.
- Proficiency in working with customer relationship management systems preferred.
- Demonstrated literacy in MS Word, Excel & Outlook.
- Office working environment
- Staff must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and adhere to all provincial public health regulations while at the AGB.
How to Apply:
Please submit a resume that clearly indicates your relevant work experiences and a cover letter that describes your interest in the position at the AGB and qualifications in one pdf by 5 pm on October 14, 2022.
The email subject line should read .
Kindly note that we will accept no phone calls or walk-ins. We thank all applicants for their interest but advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Interviews will be scheduled with selected applicants at mutually agreed times to ensure candidates do not experience undue hardship.
About the Art Gallery of Burlington:
The Art Gallery of Burlington (AGB) is a public art gallery devoted to supporting contemporary art, craft, and related thought. The AGB is the home of and partner to Arts
Burlington, an organization representing six guilds. Our studios are open to artists and makers at all levels of skill and achievement.
Over the last forty years, the AGB has amassed the largest comprehensive collection of contemporary Canadian ceramics in the world, totaling over 4,000 works. We boast a broad selection of work from across the country, ranging from functional to sculptural installations that illustrate the intersection of high craftsmanship and artistic expression.
We support the study and preservation of contemporary Canadian ceramics, and the circulation of clay production in current social movements and contexts.
Through its dedication to the multiplicity of contemporary art, craft, and related thought, AGB plays a dynamic role in inspiring future generations of artists and thinkers and fosters artistic exchange within and among the many we are in community with.
AGB is a gathering place for experiences, ideas, and conversations. We commit to this by producing exhibitions and publications that offer critical engagement with contemporary art; by creating programming initiatives that push the boundaries of traditional arts education; supporting artists, youth, and the wider community in their personal, professional, and artistic development.
Art Gallery of Burlington is proud to acknowledge that the land where it is located is part of the ancient Dish With One Spoon Treaty and the Brant Tract Purchase, Treaty No. 3 3/4 of 1795, and it is grateful to the Mississaugas of the Credit First Nation and the Six Nations of the Grand River for sharing this territory.
The AGB is committed to fostering an organizational culture embodying an equitable, diverse and inclusive, environment where every one of its board directors, staff, volunteers, and members feel respected and valued regardless of gender, age, race, ethnicity, national origin, sexual orientation or identity, disability, education, or any other bias. We welcome applications from interested and qualified candidates who are representative of our diverse community, including those from ethnic and Indigenous communities, and from across the spectrum of sexual orientation and gender identity, as well as persons with disabilities. Please let us know if you require accommodation at any stage of the process.
1333 Lakeshore Road Burlington, ON L7S 1A9 www.agb.life
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
Salary: From $55,000.00 per year
- Dental care
- Life insurance
- On-site parking
- RRSP match
- 8 hour shift
- Day shift
- Monday to Friday
Work Location: One location