The Junior Estimator performs take-offs from construction drawings and calculates the costs of labour and material for civil/structural construction projects in accordance with established processes and procedures.
- Gather and retain current and accurate data on costs of goods, materials, market labour and equipment rates from suppliers and sub-trades.
- Solicit supplier quotation for material, equipment and sub-trade quotations, whether internal to TESC departments or from an external supplier.
- Attend pre-tender meetings, including estimate reviews and tender closings.
- Prepare detailed, accurate, professional estimates by calculating material quantity take offs, equipment and labour rates for tender verification.
- Recommend multiple scenarios based on cost, engineering quality, or material availability.
- Identify most competitive rates based on cost analysis and comparison.
- Review and evaluate proposal specifications and drawings to determine scope of work and the content of estimate.
- Quantify all aspects of the tender document, including tender requirements, written specifications and project drawings.
- Review estimate packages to ensure accuracy and completeness prior to final quotation.
- Prepare final estimate summaries, ensuring they address scope, pricing and comprehensiveness.
- Advise the Divisional Manager or Senior Estimator on cost and schedule fluctuations, changes in material availability, or other factors affecting construction.
- Review estimates with TESC management as appropriate or as directed to by management.
- With assistance, prepare and schedule cost impact for tender to construction.
- College Diploma in Civil Engineering Technology or related program.
- 0 - 5 years’ experience in estimating.
- Knowledge regarding applicable municipal, provincial and federal laws and regulations.
- Strong client focus, proactive, and a desire to achieve results.
- Ability to work well under pressure and meet project deadlines.
- Financial acumen/ability to comprehend budget structures.
- Commitment to working in a team environment.
- Must work well independently and unsupervised.
- Excellent attention to quality, accuracy and details.
- Ability to read and understand construction drawings.
- Excellent time management.
- Proficiency in MS Excel and MS Project.
- Occasional travel to site locations is required.
- Valid driver’s license.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
- estimating: 1 year (Preferred)
- Secondary School (Preferred)
- Class G Driver's License (Preferred)