FirstOntario Credit Union is one of the largest credit unions in Ontario. We are a trusted co-operative financial intuition dedicated to providing competitive banking products and services and a quality Member service. More than 118,000 Ontarians choose FirstOntario for their financial needs – from chequing and savings accounts to loans and mortgages and highly qualified investment advice. Our Membership does more than save you money on fees, it also makes you an Owner. At FirstOntario, we believe the best way to ensure our success is by supporting the communities we serve. That’s why our policies include volunteering our time, talent and resources to worthy local causes and events. It’s also why we reinvest our profits in the same places they’re earned, and why we sponsor programs that promote financial literacy and economic development.
The VP, Business Banking Group (BBG) oversees all aspects of the sales, underwriting and portfolio management of the Business Banking Group (Commercial and Small Business). The incumbent will be responsible for the provision of outstanding sales and services in the Business Banking Group areas and the development of new and innovative products/processes and solutions to sales/credit management. The VP, BBG will be responsible in delivering and executing the team’s strategic goals.
In the role, you will…
- Be responsible for the sales, underwriting, fulfillment and administration of the Business Banking Group
- Be responsible for Special Accounts, workouts, and collection activities until the account is assigned to the credit department as well as supporting other departments throughout the Credit Union
- In cooperation with the Credit Group, oversee the credit underwriting process and assist with the maintenance and updates of credit policies to ensure processes meet the requirements of business lending adjudication and risk management
- Develop and cultivate a center of influence network, generate leads and prospects through various means which includes active networking to develop relationships, and identify needs that result in profitable business solutions
- Provide guidance and support to ensure staff adhere to FirstOntario operating standards and work within FirstOntario risk management policies, procedures and pricing and fee practices
- Facilitate recommendations and presentations of credit files to the Management Credit Committee and Board approval levels
- Be a natural mentor and coach who supports the continuous growth of the Business Banking Group to ensure success in all areas
- Lead and encourage sales, sales activities and community awareness through participation in various community events and manage relationships of all sizes and complexities
- Initiate research opportunities and assist with the development of new technologies, processes and innovation to ensure FirstOntario is well positioned to deliver sales and service that improves Member experience and profitability while protecting the assets of our members
- Carefully manage resources to meet the business operations budget, business plan objectives, and service level agreements monitoring variances and taking action to ensure targets are met
- Act as a liaison to members of the BBG group, third party suppliers and syndicated partners, ensuring smooth integration and fulfillment of goals
- Obtain buy-in by conducting and attending regular meetings and establishing a collaborative, positive and communicative team environment
- Impart your expert knowledge on staff and colleagues to help them stay on top of the evolving business environment
- Collaborate with other divisions, such as Wealth, Retail, Commercial Deposits and others to ensure that we are promoting all the products and services to Business members
- Consider health & safety as a primary concern to ensure the overall well-being of your team and members
- Perform other duties as required
Within your skills and qualifications, you will…
- Have a sound business acumen which you built from the ground up with a post-secondary diploma or degree in business, finance or related field or an equivalent combination of education and experience which includes at least twelve (12) years of Business credit sales/lending and adjudication experience
- Possess effective and professional sales and business development skills
- Have strong credit analysis skills and a demonstrated ability to underwrite complicated credit deals
- Have proven experience managing a high-performing team, with a focus on people leadership and coaching
- Extensive experience in multi-phase construction financing
- Experience in developing and executing small business financing programs
- Be an expert in credit products and services including in-branch, online, mobile, teleservice and other channels by utilizing your extensive experience within the financial services industry
- Be extremely knowledgeable about all aspects of Business Banking Services, staying ahead of the market changes and leading best practises in the BBG
- Be forward thinking and strategic when it comes to the BBG and how to ultimately design a risk adjusted diversified portfolio to advance the Credit Union
- Be extremely knowledgeable about credit operations, procedures and processes
- Have a thorough understanding of banking systems and loan origination systems
- Be detail-oriented, analytical, and have an incredible passion for ensuring the accuracy of data
- Enjoy a challenge when it comes to complex credit issues and be resourceful in ways to find innovative solutions
- Be proficient with computer software including but not limited to MS Office
- Be quick to respond to requests for service from all of your clients
- Inherently demonstrate a high level of integrity, confidentiality and trustworthiness
- Be more than approachable with your strong interpersonal skills, communication, and presentation skills
- Embrace the philosophy of lifelong learning
- Be aware of and mitigate enterprise risk factors and ensure compliance with applicable regulations, legislation and FirstOntario policies and procedures
Our emphasis on service means we’re constantly searching for new team members whose dedication to helping people is as powerful as their ambition to succeed. We’re committed to providing professional development, and to extending employee activities beyond day-to-day operations to support the communities where we’re located. Our people are the difference, it’s a part of why we love coming to work.
If this sparks your interest and you demonstrate high levels of integrity and credibility, we should talk. Check out our website for the full job description and prepare your cover letter and resume listing your experience, qualifications, and submit it online through our careers page on the company website.
We appreciate all who express interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please.
FirstOntario Credit Union will provide accommodations for persons with disabilities, where needed, to support their participation in our recruitment process.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
- Commercial Credit lending and adjudication: 9 years (Required)
- management: 5 years (Required)