Western Economic Diversification Canada
$94,121 to $107,619
How WD Helps!
To learn more about what the Western Economic Diversification does, click here.
27 January 2020 - 23:59, Pacific Time
Who can apply:
Persons residing in Canada and Canadian citizens residing abroad.
Western Economic Diversification Canada (WD) is looking for a confident and multi-talented Communications Manager to join our team. This is a key position in a department that partners with western Canadians to develop the West’s economy and advance their interests in Ottawa. We are looking for someone who can think independently, work creatively and can lead an Alberta-based team of communications professionals in a regional matrix environment to support the priorities of the department. The successful candidate will be adept at utilizing digital media platforms (video, social media) to tell our story and strengthen WD’s role as a trusted champion and partner for the West. If you pride yourself on being a passionate self-starter who enjoys a good challenge, can nurture the strengths and talents of people to achieve common goals, are digitally savvy, and highly creative with a talent for following through on innovative ideas, then this the position for you!
As a Communications Manager, you will be challenged to:
- Manage a regional communications unit, including human and financial resources, responsible for the development and implementation of departmental strategic communications plans and activities.
- Provide strategic advice and guidance on all aspects of regional communications, frequently involving sensitive subject matter, to the Minister’s office, senior and middle management and employees.
- Passionately and proactively, tell stories through a variety of mediums about the successes, projects and results achieved by WD. So that all Canadians have a better understanding of the of WD’s impact in Alberta.
- Conceive, implement and evaluate regional communication programs and activities in alignment with the departmental mandates directed to both external and internal audiences within Alberta Region.
- Oversee, plan and deliver reactive and proactive media strategies, including the development of media advisories, key messages, questions and answers and the development and organization of special events and media opportunities.
- In collaboration with other regional Communications Managers, lead strategies and development of products to support internal corporate communications within the department.
Western Economic Diversification Canada (WD) works to develop and diversify the economy of Western Canada by delivering grants and contributions programs and advocating on behalf of the West. At WD, we care about people and about serving the best interests of our clients.
What we do is equally as important as how we do it, and excellence is our standard. WD is recognized as one of Alberta’s top employers because of its support for employees, innovative workplace and ability to make a difference in the lives of Western Canadians. In the annual public service employee survey, WD employees consistently rank the department as one of the best places to work in the federal government.
This position reports to both an Assistant Deputy Minister in Edmonton and a Director General in Ottawa. The successful candidate will need to demonstrate leadership in operating within a matrix organization to manage communications activities in collaboration with colleagues in other regions of Canada.
Why Choose WD:
- Work with amazing people who support each other
- Meaningful work that makes a difference to the country
- Excellent compensation package
- Flexible work arrangements
- Modern work tools and technology
Intent of the process
The Intent of this selection process is to staff one full time position indeterminately This process may be used for various positions and tenures (including but not limited to term and indeterminate appointments, internal assignments, secondments, deployments, acting appointments) as well as various locations, security requirements, language requirements and conditions of employment.
Positions to be filled:
Information you must provide
In order to be considered, your application must clearly explain how you meet the following (essential qualifications)
- A degree from a recognized post-secondary institution in Communications, Political Science, Journalism or related field.
1. Based on their education, training and/or experience, indeterminate incumbents of positions in the IS classification are deemed to meet the minimum education standard whenever a bachelor's degree without specialization is called for in a position classified as IS.
2. At the manager's discretion, an acceptable combination of education, training and/or experience, may serve as an alternative to the minimum education standard.
Recent* and significant** experience in developing and implementing strategic communications plans, products and projects for external or internal audiences.
Recent* and significant** experience leading complex files that demand horizontal coordination with internal and external partners or stakeholders.
Recent* and significant** experience in providing a broad range of strategic communications advice to senior management***
- Recent means within the last five (5) years.
**Significant is defined as the depth and breadth of experience normally associated with having performed a broad range of complex activities related to this task, which are acquired on a full time basis over twenty four (24) months.
Director level or above, Ministers, Members of Parliament and other political officials or senior level private sector executives such as Vice Presidents, Presidents, Chief Executive Officers, Board Chairs.
- Knowledge of economic issues effecting Western Canada.
- Knowledge of the public environment in Alberta in the context of national public policy.
- Knowledge of digital media/marketing.
- Create Vision and Strategy;
- Mobilize People;
- Uphold Integrity and Respect;
- Promote Innovation and Guide Change;
- Achieve Results;
- Effective oral communications skills
- Effective written communication skills.
If you possess any of the following, your application must also clearly explain how you meet it (other qualifications)
Experience in establishing organizational priorities and strategies and in directing their development and implementation.
Experience in advising and supporting senior management and elected officials.
Experience managing a team responsible for fulfilling complex deliverables under short deadlines.
Experience in overseeing planning and execution of high-profile events/announcements.
Experience in working collaboratively across departments, across levels of government or on public/private/not-for profit initiatives.
Experience working in a matrix environment with reporting relationships to more than one manager in more than one location.
Experience managing digital marketing activities including developing and delivering visual design concepts and creatives such as : digital publications, infographics, videos, motion graphics, multimedia presentations and/or web sites
Experience with media relations and being a spokesperson.
Depth, breadth and scope of experience in any one or combination of the experience requirements.
The following will be applied / assessed at a later date (essential for the job)
Information on language requirements
Conditions of employment
Secret security clearance
- Must be willing and able to travel
- Maintain a valid drivers licence
- Willing to work overtime, often on short notice, including weekends.
The Public Service of Canada is committed to building a skilled and diverse workforce that reflects the Canadians we serve. We promote employment equity and encourage you to indicate if you belong to one of the designated groups when you apply.
Information on employment equity
Preference will be given to veterans and to Canadian citizens, in that order, with the exception of a job located in Nunavut, where Nunavut Inuit will be appointed first.
Information on the preference to veterans
We thank all those who apply. Only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.