Saskatoon SPCA Adoption Counsellor Job Description
The Saskatoon SPCA is particularly interested in applicants who have previous office experience in data entry, POS (point of sales systems) and performing reception responsibilities, and experience in customer relations. Further, it would be an asset to be familiar with the City of Saskatoon Animal Control Bylaws and Animal Protection Act of Saskatchewan.
- Possession of a valid Saskatchewan Driver’s License required;
- Some previous office experience and working knowledge of current computer programs and shelter databases is essential;
- Ability to prepare comprehensive reports as required;
- Ability to multi-task in various administrative organizational functions;
- Ability to deal effectively with the public;
- Knowledge of animal welfare and breed identification of both felines and canines considered an asset;
- Skills in organizing resources and establishing priorities;
- Must be able to work with other staff, volunteers and the public in a positive, practical manner;
- Must possess good verbal and written communication skills;
- Previous retail sales experience will be considered an asset;
- Previous animal-related experience will be considered an asset;
- Training will be given to those without this experience;
- Must have a genuine interest in and concern for the overall well-being of animals and demonstrate empathy and compassion for shelter animals.
Nature of Work
Reporting to Shelter Management, the Adoption Counselor performs duties for the promotion of all Fundraising activities and therefore will be familiar with up coming events and on-going efforts to promote the SPCA. This includes the sale of lottery tickets, special events tickets, merchandise and assisting in the recording of tickets, sales and donations received. The Adoption Counselor will be required to provide excellent customer service, performing duties such as but not limited to adoptions, redemptions and intake of animals. The Adoption Counselor will also be responsible for all clerical duties assigned; and for the management of databases for the shelter.
It is expected of the Adoption Counselor to provide exceptional customer services, and to maintain a high level of professionalism at all times.
Duties May Include, But Are Not Limited to:
Clerical & Receptionist Duties:
- Assist with and promote all fundraising and special events activities, promoting lottery sales, merchandise sales, and other fundraising events that are on going;
- Responsible for performing duties in a professional, proactive manner in order to achieve and maintain good public relations and excellent customer services;
- Responsible for knowing and adhering to shelter policies and procedures;
- Must use discretion and good judgment at all time and ensure the good reputation of the society;
- Must be familiar with and supportive of the goals and missions of the Saskatoon SPCA, the Animal Protection Act, and the City of Saskatoon Bylaw 7860;
- Record public complaints including lost and found animals and of animal neglect, abused, or injured animals for Animal Protection Services, and the Shelter;
- Dispatch calls of neglected, abused, or injured animals to the Animal Protection Officer, or on call personnel;
- Perform adoptions and redemptions;
- Perform daily cross checks from lost and found reports;
- Telephone reception;
- Maintain a clean and neat appearance, in accordance to the dress code;
- Maintain a neat and tidy workstation at all times;
- Attend all staff meetings and relevant training sessions;
- Report Occupational Health and Safety concerns to appropriate personnel;
- Report office supply and maintenance repairs as needed;
- Other duties as assigned.
Please send resume to Operation Manager. No phone calls please and only those requested for interview will be contacted.
Job Type: Part-time