DELIVERY DRIVER & YARD STAFF MEMBER
Yard Staff Member maintains the lumberyard. They load and unload materials, store them in the proper locations. This is accomplished by using a variety of equipment including forklifts, pallet jacks, lumber carts, etc. They must also greet and serve yard customers and, therefore, need to be familiar with inventory, returns and exchange policies.
Delivery Driver delivers invoiced product to customer provided address. It is the driver’s responsibility to ensure that only the invoiced product is loaded for delivery, that the load is safely stowed/strapped/stacked for transportation and that they have clear instructions for destination and route. It is the Driver’s responsibility to safely unload invoiced product on or near the front of the property—an area that is accessible for our Donkey Forklift. It may be necessary to hand carry product to a separate location—this will be discussed prior to departure. It is the driver’s responsibility to complete safety checks and complete log books as determined by Management. It is the responsibility of the Driver to obey all traffic rules; any breach of this may be cause for termination. The Driver must provide a “clean” Driver’s Abstract annually to maintain their employment in this position.
DUTIES / RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Load and unload materials.
- Take all necessary safety precautions when handling freight, tools, and equipment.
- Store material in correct locations in the yard.
- Identify and assist customers with advice, information, and/or help in gathering and loading orders.
- Keep the yard clean and the inventory neat and orderly.
- Be familiar with the locations(s) of all inventory and equipment.
- Be familiar with the safe operation and maintenance of equipment, including forklift, lumber cart, pallet jack, banding machine, etc.
- Assist customers in handling large or heavy items.
- Resolve customer complaints.
- Be aware of theft and take action, in line with company policy, to report or discourage it.
- Process special orders for non-stock items according to established store protocols.
- Restock lumber bins, sheds, etc. when they are depleted.
- Deliver purchases and/or pick up returned goods.
- Receive incoming merchandise.
- Check incoming merchandise against orders or invoices, identify damaged goods, shortages, and backorders.
- Report any shortages, damaged goods, and backorders to your supervisor.
- Make suggestions for rule, policy, and/or procedure changes when you think that such changes will improve efficiency, morale, profits, sales, etc.
- Help in training new employees.
- Work on any special projects assigned by your supervisor, after determining their priority in relation to your other duties.
- Work on additional duties and assignments as assigned by management.
- Work in a safe manner in accordance to provincial and federal safety legislation, as well as use of good common sense. Report any potential hazards and unsafe behavior to management in order to have the situation corrected.
- Must be able to communicate effectively with customers, management, and employees.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule including weekends, evenings and holidays.
- Must be alert to all yard activities to help customers, use equipment properly, help in loss control and yard safety and security measures, etc.
- Must read and comprehend written and printed materials, as well as information presented in numerical form.
- Must safely operate yard equipment and tools, including forklift, pallet jack, lumber cart, banding machine, radial arm saw, etc.
- Must move materials weighing up to 100 pounds to or from the yard, placing them on or removing them from trucks, pallets, etc.
- High School graduation or equivalent.
- Ability to work co-operatively in a team atmosphere.
- Reports directly to the Yard Manager
Job Type: Full-time
- driving: 1 year (Required)
- Strathroy, ON (Preferred)
- DZ (Required)
- Forklift (Preferred)