Start date: July
Where: Edmonton: 10545 108 St NW
Report to: Lubna Zaeem, Clinical Director
Salary: $21/hour, 15-20h/week
Close Date: June 29, 2022
About the Position
As an Outreach Worker you will be working with clients of various ages, ethnicities and religions, socioeconomic backgrounds and sexual orientations. As a result, the Intake Worker will need to demonstrate the following skills:
- Interactions with clients in a manner that is respectful, patient and sympathetic.
- Cultural sensitivity to client’s racial, ethnic and religious needs.
- Firm ability to assess client needs and make knowledgeable referrals to external organizations.
- Compassion and professional ethical practice.
- Strong client engagement and relationship building.
- Ability to work independently and collaborate with other professionals.
- Client-centred practice, anti-oppressive and anti-racist approaches to working with clients.
- Knowledge of immigration trends, crisis intervention, child abuse reporting, domestic violence and mandatory reporting.
*The ideal candidate for the role would possess the following qualifications, along with these core technical and behavioural competencies:
- Diploma or Bachelor’s Degree in Social Work or related is an asset.
- Current registration and in good standing with the Alberta College of Social Workers (ACSW) will be considered an asset.
- Must have a minimum of one (1) year of experience working in the social service sector; settlement and community settings preferred.
- Direct experience in an intake or casework role will be considered a tremendous asset.
- Experience in community based research will be an asset.
- Must maintain the legal right to work in Canada
- Competence in Arabic or Somali highly valued
- Training in trauma-informed care, crisis intervention and domestic violence will be considered an asset.
- A valid driver’s license and access to a vehicle is mandatory.
- Flexibility to work day and evening hours may be occasionally necessary.
- Experience in direct client contact in a volunteer or work setting with a social services agency is an asset.
1. Community Outreach (55%)
- Fostering Healthy Families, Essential Needs and Benevolence programs and other one time requests coming through the help-line.
- Developing trust and community relations with members and leaders in the Muslim community.
- Working from a culturally sensitive lens to complete in-take when required, for example; Family Violence intakes, risk assessments, safety plans with clients; and when required with help-line callers.
- Connecting clients to Edmonton resources (for example Shelters, Alberta Works, Legal Aid, Regional Housing, educational supports);
- Educating clients in areas such as healthy relationships, parenting skills and other areas related to domestic abuse;
- Supporting clients in completing documents, applications and forms for clients
- Connecting back with your supervisor at the office and other team members as necessary.
2. Reporting + Records Management (10%)
- Accurate case noting on client’s activities and support you have provided in a time;
- Updating the database as client’s information and situations progress or change.
3. Help-Line (10%)
- Maximum 2 day per week. On weekends 12 hours per day and weekdays 5 hours per day.
- Note: Helpline hours are on-call hours, that are in addition to your regular work week that is paid per shift.
4. Other Activities (25%)
- Attending meetings such as case consultation, staff meetings, and inter agency and partnership meetings.
- Helping with our research project, recruiting senior’s to partake in interviews about their use of technology. 2-3 hours per week time commitment.
- Supporting clinical director and program lead in program development, evaluation, reporting in regard to the programs that IFSSA is involved in and receives grants.
- Supporting EN manager during high need times as per consultation with the clinical director
- To represent IFSSA in community liaison activities
How to apply? (see below)
Confidence (or the lack thereof) can sometimes hold us back from applying for a job. We’ll let you in on a secret — there is no such thing as a perfect candidate. IslamicFamily.ca is open for innovation. As long as you are continuing to push your growth and development, then consider applying even if you don’t check all the boxes on our posting. Questions & engagement are encouraged.
To be considered for this role, please submit your resume and in lieu of a cover letter send us 5m video- details in job description here:
Job Type: Part-time
Salary: From $21.00 per hour
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Edmonton, AB: reliably commute or plan to relocate before starting work (required)
- Driving Licence (required)
Application deadline: 2022-06-29
Expected start date: 2022-07-01