Brampton Multicultural Community Centre (BMC) is a charitable organization, established in Peel Region in 1987. Its mandate and core business is to enable newcomer and immigrant individuals and families to achieve their full potential and become productive participants in their adopted land. BMC has a variety of specialized programs that target specific demographics and focus on providing different services (Settlement, Mental Health, Youth Engagement, Employment etc.). The Crisis Counsellor will provide therapeutic support and crisis intervention to a variety of individuals and families.
- Program planning, development, monitoring, case management, evaluation & documentation
- Provide trauma-focused counseling and therapy services for children and families
- Complete initial intake and create an individual treatment plan for each client
- Provide ongoing confidential counselling and case management using various theoretical frameworks and interventions in relation to individual client / family needs
- Provide crisis intervention and make appropriate recommendations, information and referrals for ongoing treatment
- Work to join appropriately with clients in establishing effective professional relationship with an awareness of maintaining appropriate boundaries
- Maintain accurate and timely case notes and record of all client contacts
- Initiate, maintain, and update accurate client reports, case notes, files, assessment forms, and other information as required
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with other collateral community agency professionals by working cooperatively with these community professionals
- Assist in the operation of agency's programs & services including information updating, filing, compiling monthly statistics, activity and outcome report monthly, quarterly, yearly basis
- Any other related duties complementary to the job.
- Reports to the Executive Director and his/her designate.
- University degree in social work, psychology, criminal justice or related field
- Must have at least two years of experience working with children and families that have experienced trauma, violence or mental health issues
- Possess knowledge of trauma-focused cognitive behavioral therapy
- Must be able to demonstrate sound judgement and ability to build rapport
- Strong communication skills in and out of the therapeutic environment
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to manage multiple assignments simultaneously; demonstrate initiative in taking on additional responsibilities when needed.
- Flexible to work evenings or weekends if and when required
- Police Record Check for Vulnerable Sector is required as part of the hiring process.
- Must have own transportation, driver license and valid insurance to use your vehicle for job related travelling
Please submit your resume along with a cover letter in ONE document (PDF, Word or Rich Text Format) referencing
BMC-JC-161-Crisis Counsellor by November 30th, 2019 to:
Human Resources Department
Brampton Multicultural Community Centre
BMC is an equal opportunity employer, which promotes the principles of diversity and equity, and adheres to the tenets of the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. Accommodations are available upon request; all requests must be made to the HR department in advance.
Job Type: Full-time