Nanaimo Homeless Coalition Marketing & Communications Officer Contract
1-year contract for communications and marketing services
Start date, ASAP
End date, March 31, 2021
United Way Central & Northern Vancouver Island (UWCNVI) and Nanaimo Homeless Coalition (NHC) is seeking a skilled, dedicated, results oriented communications professional passionate about providing education around pressing social issues and inspiring individuals and service agencies to come together to end homelessness in Nanaimo.
As an energetic and creative communications/marketing specialist, this is an excellent opportunity to hone your skills in non-profit communications, build relationships with the media in several communities, work with our many corporate and institutional partners as well as research and share motivational copy/materials the inspiring stories from the Nanaimo Homeless Coalition member agencies.
Reporting to and working closely with the Director of Communications, the NHC Marketing and Communications Officer will be an integral member of a small, high-performing team. Duties include:
· Contribute to the development, implementation, and evaluation of the annual communications/marketing plan
· Manage all media relations
· Strategically create social media activity
· Research, write and produce press releases, website content, blogs etc.
· Develop, write and share communications pieces such as letters to the editor, responses to immerging news, key messages
· Design, develop, launch a new website
This is a contract for services role and is based on outcomes and deliverables identified in the contract. The successful candidate will be responsible for their own tools, equipment and workspace.
· Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field (or equivalent experience)
· 1 - 3 years of experience in a communications/marketing role
· Excellent writing skills (samples will be requested) for marketing and promotional purposes
· Available to travel and work occasional evenings/weekends with a flexible schedule
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
· Able to plan, deliver analyze, monitor, evaluate, and advance strategic communications/marketing plans
· Strong understanding of non-profit writing and the ability to write motivating copy to homelessness challenges
· Ability to work on multiple projects, meet deadlines, and consistently deliver high quality results
· Technical proficiency to create website updates and
· Able to build effective relationships within and outside UWCNVI including with the NHC member agencies
· Resourceful, good work ethic, team player, and a positive attitude
· Work effectively under pressure, dealing with high volumes of work and tight deadlines
· Excellent skills in MS Office, including Word, Excel, and Outlook
· Graphic design skills considered an asset
· Ability to work effectively with designers, radio and print media suppliers and other contractors
· Proven accuracy and attention to detail
· Professional demeanour, attire and presentation required
· Social media experience (including Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn)
How to Apply
If you are looking for an opportunity to be involved in a great cause and to make a difference in homelessness, please submit your resume, hourly rate, cover letter and samples of your writing/materials (links are fine) by 11:59 pm, April 15, 2020.
No phone calls, please. For more information, please submit questions via e-mail.
About United Way Central & Northern Vancouver Island
For over 60 years, United Way Central & Northern Vancouver Island (UWCNVI) has become the region’s largest single non-profit funder of local social service programs. Last year UWCNVI funded 91 programs helping 42,125 people. UWCNVI is also a catalyst for social change – conducting research, convening coalitions, and influencing public policy to make a difference in local communities from the Malahat to Port Hardy.
UWCNVI also plays a leadership role in ending homelessness and investing in our communities through Reaching Home: Canada's Homelessness Strategy. UWCNVI is the Community Entity holding the Reaching Home funds for the region and invests in service agencies through the Nanaimo Homeless Coalition.
About Nanaimo Homeless Coalition
The Nanaimo Homeless Coalition brings together non-profit organizations, governments and concerned citizens to create a united front. Together NHC is developing and driving solutions to end homelessness, while diminishing the harm caused by homelessness on individuals and community.
The Nanaimo Homeless Coalition offers guidance and direction on service delivery for our most at-risk residents. By bringing together the many organizations working to address homelessness, we are more impactful and effective in our collaboration.
The Nanaimo Homeless Coalition developed Nanaimo’s Action Plan End Homelessness, which was approved and endorsed by the City of Nanaimo. Going forward, the Coalition will work with the City’s newly formed Health and Housing Task Force to implement this strategy. Learn more at nanaimohomelesscoalition.ca
Job Types: Part-time, Contract