The Motor Vehicle Sales Authority of BC is hiring for a Manager of Investigations!
Located in Langley, BC, the VSA's Purpose is to build public confidence in the BC motor dealer industry by engaging and educating industry and consumers, ensuring a safe and reliable motor vehicle buying experience. We fulfill our purpose by administering and enforcing the Motor Dealer Act and its regulations and the Business Practices and Consumer Protection Act. Founded in 2004, the VSA became one of the first examples of the British Columbia government’s new approach for administering public policy through a delegated administrative authority.
General Position Summary
The Manager of Investigations is responsible for leading the team which conducts investigations on behalf of the VSA. The VSA Investigators work both independently and within a team environment to investigate a wide range of issues. This role oversees the investigation of consumer, advertising and other complaints or unlicensed activity within the Province. This role requires the individual to carry out their duties in an unbiased, professional, courteous and timely manner while adhering to the principles of administrative fairness. The Manager directly supports the team, as well as the Director of Industry Standards and Consumer Protection, in managing workflow and daily operations, planning strategic direction, and leading the learning and development of the team. The Manager of Investigations collaborates with the Director of Industry Standards & Consumer Protection on compliance resolutions and voluntary Undertakings as well as those who are the subject of an investigation, escalating the serious or unresolved matters to a formal hearing before the Registrar.
Applicable Primary Legislation: The Motor Dealer Act (B.C), the Business Practices and Consumer Protection Act (B.C.) and their regulations.
Key Accountabilities and Deliverables
The Manager of Investigations is expected to:
1. Lead, manage and oversee the Investigations team to ensure investigations are completed in a consistently fair, thorough, objective and professional manner – wherever needed within the Province.
2. Manage the performance management system for the department, which includes setting team and individual objectives monitoring team and individual performance, providing feedback when required and partaking in ongoing coaching and development.
3. Monitor and ensure the department is meeting the VSA Investigations Department’s service standards.
4. Review, analyze and identify investigations plans and determine methodology and techniques with the team.
5. Write detailed, high quality reports and correspondence setting out facts of a case cogently, objectively and accurately and in appropriate detail, and promote the VSA’s mission and mandate in all communication with consumers and stakeholders of the automotive industry.
6. Lead or participate as a team member on complex investigations, ensuring investigation is completed thoroughly and on time.
7. Prepare and present submissions before the Registrar in a professional, objective and unbiased manner.
8. Work collaboratively with the Industry Standards Team to proactively promote voluntary compliance within the Province.
9. Actively participate as a member of the VSA Leadership Team.
Education, Certification and Experience
Skills and Abilities
All applicants need to submit a resume and cover letter by 4:00 pm on Friday, June 26, 2020. All applicants must undergo a criminal background check and pass a skill/knowledge test and should have knowledge of the role of regulatory organizations, and preferably knowledge of the Motor Dealer Act and other relevant consumer protection legislation.
Application deadline: 2020-06-26
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent