FirstOntario Credit Union is one of the largest credit unions in Ontario. We are a trusted co-operative financial intuition dedicated to providing competitive banking products and services and a quality Member service. More than 118,000 Ontarians choose FirstOntario for their financial needs – from chequing and savings accounts to loans and mortgages and highly qualified investment advice. Our Membership does more than save you money on fees, it also makes you an Owner. At FirstOntario, we believe the best way to ensure our success is by supporting the communities we serve. That’s why our policies include volunteering our time, talent and resources to worthy local causes and events. It’s also why we reinvest our profits in the same places they’re earned, and why we sponsor programs that promote financial literacy and economic development.
The Director, Human Resources is a seasoned Human Resources Professional who offers well-honed generalist and strong labour relations skills and is well versed in all areas of total rewards. The Director, Human Resources will provide effective oversight to and proficient management of the day-to-day operations within the Human Resources Business Unit and will partner and collaborate with various business leaders to ensure a timely and successful delivery of Human Resources services to assist them in delivering on their objectives and plans to drive the business forward.
In the role, you will…
- Oversee the Payroll, Benefits and Pension function while leading a team of integrated HR Professionals to execute on the Human Resources Strategic Plan and liaising with other departments, management and third-party providers
- Oversee program design and delivery of compensation, job evaluations, Group Insurance Benefits, Pension plan, wellness and total Rewards programs while ensuring legislative compliance
- Develop strong relationships with third parties and tightly manage vendor performance against contractual agreements
- Manages benefits and pension costs and benefit premium/pension contribution renewal processes
- Keep abreast of legislative changes and trends with respect to payroll, benefits, pension and wellness programs
- Utilize an organized, proactive, strategic and creative approach to shape, drive and deliver functional programs and initiatives to optimize and enhance all facets of Human Resources
- Take ownership of team projects from planning to execution and represent Human Resources on company projects as required where Human Resources is engaged
- Prepare the fiscal departmental budget submissions and endeavour to guide the achievement of meeting budget
- Ensure all Human Resources policies and procedures are current and legally compliant
- Increase the use of Human Resources technology to achieve business outcomes and streamline labour intensive tasks
- Provide sound advice on workplace policies & procedures and share knowledge appropriately on applicable legislation including but not limited to the ESA, LRA, Ontario Human Rights Code and AODA, as required
- Consider health & safety as a primary concern to ensure the overall well-being of your team and members
- Perform other duties as required
Within your skills and qualifications, you will…
- Have a sound working knowledge of Human Resources and Labour Relations which you built from the ground up starting with a post-secondary diploma or degree in a field related to Human Resources Management or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Have a minimum of eight (8) to twelve (12) years progressive experience in a generalist capacity with a focus on labour relations, compensation, benefits, payroll, pension plans and total rewards
- Be a dynamic Certified Human Resources Leader (CHRL) and Member in Good Standing with the Human Resources Professionals Association (HRPA)
- Be well-versed in HR and LR legislative requirements and have a keen interest in following field case law
- Appreciate the value of an open and collaborative work environment and the resulting knowledge sharing People development, coaching, and mentoring of team of direct reports with decisive, fair and strong team building skills
- Exceptional interpersonal and written/verbal communication skills
- Solid vendor negotiation and relationship management skills
- Well-developed prioritization, time management and multi-tasking skills with attention to detail
- Able to identify opportunities and offer solutions for change and/or improvement
- Set direction, objectives and priorities for team of direct reports
- Manages complexity and ambiguity with adaptability
- High degree of confidentiality and professional judgment in dealing with sensitive information
- Have the flexibility to travel within our extensive branch network
- Be quick to respond to requests for service from all of your clients
- Do the right things for the right reasons
- Be extremely comfortable using a computer particularly MS Office
Our emphasis on service means we’re constantly searching for new team members whose dedication to helping people is as powerful as their ambition to succeed. We’re committed to providing professional development, and to extending employee activities beyond day-to-day operations to support the communities where we’re located. Our people are the difference, it’s a part of why we love coming to work.
If this sparks your interest and you demonstrate high levels of integrity and credibility, we should talk. Check out our website for the full job description and prepare your cover letter and resume listing your experience, qualifications, and submit it online through our careers page on the company website.
We appreciate all who express interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please.
FirstOntario Credit Union will provide accommodations for persons with disabilities, where needed, to support their participation in our recruitment process.
- Vision care
- Dental care
- Extended health care
- On-site parking
- Employee assistance programs
- Vacation & paid time off
- Life insurance
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
- Human Resources: 8 years (Required)