Western Forest Products has an exciting opportunity for an Operations Manager at our Chemainus Sawmill on Vancouver Island.
What You’ll Do: As Operations Manager, you’ll be responsible for all aspects of the Chemainus Sawmill Operation, including financial and operational activities in pursuance of business goals. This includes delivering continuous improvement in all areas of worker safety, operational efficiency, product quality and the profitability of the operation.
Who You Are: This is a great opportunity for an experienced Operations Manager to join the organization and have significant impact with a high performing team. We are looking for a self-motivated leader with a strong sense of initiative and ability to manage change and drive improved margins. You have strong knowledge in wood products manufacturing and are effective at driving process improvement and cross functional team collaboration.
- Develop and maintain a comprehensive approach to continuous improvement in all aspects of the operation, with a focus on improving efficiencies and cost control;
- Responsible for all manufacturing and processing functions in the operation;
- Ensure compliance with all Company rules and regulatory requirements as they pertain to the operation, including but not limited to WorkSafe and Ministry of Environment;
- Support new product development with optimization, operations and sales staff;
- Consistently evaluate and maintain the overall product quality in the operation; and
- Stay current with Remanufacturing innovations and trends.
- Lead with a strong focus on team building and employee engagement.
- Recruit, develop, and prepare key personnel to meet the requirements of a competitive and dynamic industry and retain employees through strong leadership and opportunities to learn and progress;
- Assist in the training of supervision and operations personnel in problem solving techniques and root cause analysis troubleshooting techniques;
- As the senior manager at the operation, actively participate in inter-divisional management meetings, site management meetings and union/management committees/meetings; and
- Maintain open lines of communication with other Manufacturing Managers, Sales Managers, and internal/external customers.
- Accountable for the finances of the operation and make changes and recommendations as required;
- Prepare the operation’s operating/maintenance/capital budgets; and
- Identify opportunities for capital and develop business cases for the expenditure. Once approved, oversee the purchase, installation, and start-up of the equipment.
Education And Experience
- Post-secondary degree in wood products, engineering or business administration;
- 8+ years of progressive leadership experience in the wood products manufacturing sector;
- Proven leadership ability; and
- Fully conversant with safety, remanufacturing production systems, environmental and other regulations/standards specific to the industry.
Skills, Knowledge And Required Competencies
- Commitment to Western’s core values of personal safety, sustainable management and environmental stewardship;
- High level of integrity and professionalism;
- Comprehensive knowledge of wood products manufacturing;
- Strong inventory, financial and production management skills;
- Strong business acumen, financial analysis and strategic planning skills;
- Ability to manage change within a unionized environment; and
- Well-developed communication, negotiation, conflict resolution and people management skills.
At Western Forest Products, we believe our most significant asset is our people. Investing in our people brings value and success to our business, ensuring a safe, engaged, productive and continuously improving workplace. We offer challenging opportunities working alongside the best in the industry to meet your career and professional development goals while providing competitive total rewards and recognition.
We provide a variety of on-the-job training and continuing education in many areas at Western to ensure you have the skills you need to succeed. Our promote-from-within culture recognizes high performance and we offer diverse career paths across the organization for those with the talent and will to advance.
Our total rewards offering including competitive pay, performance bonus, pension plan, benefits and other programs designed to support our employees.
Western Forest Products is a leading forest products company that sustainably manages forests and manufactures high-quality wood products. Headquartered in Vancouver, British Columbia with operations in the coastal region of BC and Washington State, Western meets the needs of customers worldwide with a specialty wood products focus and diverse product offering.
Our commitment to health and safety, environmental stewardship and community engagement is core to how we do business at Western Forest Products.
Our approach to responsible business practices in all aspects of our business is multi-faceted. We adhere to and employ the most stringent environmental practices in the world. The steps we take to ensure the forests in which we operate are renewed and remain healthy and viable for future generations are mirrored in the care we take to make certain our communities continue to grow and prosper. This includes investing in communities where we operate and continuing to forge mutually beneficial relationships with First Nations in respect of their local and cultural interests.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
Flexible Language Requirement:
Work Location: In person