Hours: 4AM - Early Afternoon, 4 Days/Week from Monday – Friday. Also required to work nightshift for shunting.
Type: Hourly, Full Time, Union, Approximately 40-45 Hours / Week
Location: 1 Duck Pond Rd, Lakeside, NS
Wage: $20.27 / Hour Upon Hire + Raises + Performance Bonuses
Route Location: HRM Area
We offer our associates the opportunity to grow personally and professionally, to contribute to the success of a dynamic organization, and to serve others in a manner that exceeds their expectations. We're looking for talented, hard-working individuals to join our team. Come grow with us and let us show you why we’re at the heart of food and service.
This is a delivery position responsible for driving a tractor trailer for the purpose of delivering and unloading various products for Sysco customers. This requires using excellent customer service skills, and working in accordance with state and DOT regulations and Sysco Safety Preferred Work Methods.
Overtime hours, working weekends and holidays, and starting at various early morning start times are required in order to successfully meet customers’ needs.
- Deliver product within assigned route schedule and time windows. Immediately inform management team of any deviations.
- Unload product from trailer, by hand or using hand cart, and place in designated customer storage areas. May include transporting product down ramps, stairs, or docks, in all weather conditions.
- Frequently lift, push, or move product that weighs 1-75 pounds, up to 100 pounds; frequently reach up to 72 inches to stack and unstack pallets and hand cart; constantly bend and twist while loading and unloading product, and retrieving items from trailer.
- Operate assigned STS unit to generate invoices. Verify delivery of items with customer and obtain proper signatures. Contact management for authorization when discrepancies on invoice and communicate all errors/returns.
- Collect money (cash or checks) where required, and turn in all funds collected daily.
- Pickup, load and unload damaged goods and customer returns, and complete necessary paperwork.
- Perform pre-trip and post-trip responsibilities in accordance with Department of Transportation (DOT) regulations and Sysco policies and procedures.
- Perform coupling procedures for the tractor/trailer as needed.
- Complete Department of Transportation (DOT) logs (electronic or manual as required), company vehicle maintenance reports and reconcile with appropriate company representative as required.
- Follow SyscoSafe preferred work methods at all times, and immediately advise supervisor of any unsafe conditions.
- Maintain sanitary conditions in tractor and trailer and assist with maintaining sanitary conditions in the warehouse and yard.
- Maintain and safely operate all assigned equipment, including but not limited to hand cart, pallets, load bars, STS unit, and personal protective equipment.
- Attend all required company meetings.
- Other duties may be assigned.
- Valid Class 1 Commercial Driver License with a "clean" driving record (including: no single DUI in the last 3 years and no multiple DUIs within the last 7 years).
- Pass pre-employment testing (Background Check and Physical Abilities Test).
- Able to read, write and communicate in English as it relates to the job and to the safety regulations.
- Have basic math skills (add, subtract, multiply, divide).
- High school diploma or General Education Development (GED) or equivalent
- 2 years’ local food or beverage delivery experience
- Possession of, or ability to obtain, the following certifications:
- Double Trailer (B Trains)
- Transportation of Dangerous Goods
- Pallet breakdown and hand cart delivery experience
- Previous experience at Sysco or in foodservice industry
- Operate vehicle in a variety of traffic and weather conditions.
- Meet or exceed minimum productivity levels established by the Company.
- Meet or exceed established cases per error goals.
- Demonstrate strong customer relations and problem resolution skills.
- Effectively plan and organize work activities independent of direct supervision.
- Develop a good working knowledge of product and inventory control techniques and procedures.
- Maintain ongoing inter-department communications related to routing, safety, and customer relations.
Applicants must be currently authorized to work in Canada.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
Salary: $20.27 per hour
- Company Pension
- Dental Care
- Disability Insurance
- Discounted or Free Food
- Employee Assistance Program
- Employee Stock Purchase Plan
- Extended Health Care
- Life Insurance
- On-site Parking
- Paid Time Off
- Stock Options
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Vision Care
- Day shift
- Night Shift
- commercial driving: 1 year (Preferred)
- Class 1 Commercial Driver (Preferred)