As Canada’s only polytechnic university, we offer you the opportunity to make a positive impact on your community through a meaningful career working in a collaborative and inclusive culture. Join us and put your thoughts into action.
About Kwantlen Polytechnic University
At Kwantlen Polytechnic University we combine academic excellence with practical, hands-on and experiential learning opportunities that prepare our graduates for successful and rewarding careers, while also providing them with the critical understanding necessary for good citizenship.
We ensure that our graduates are prepared for a lifetime of learning and re-learning so they can adapt to the fast pace of change in the workplace and in society at large.
Located in the Lower Mainland region of British Columbia, KPU offers a diverse range of credentials – including certificates, citations, diplomas and bachelor’s degrees – designed to successfully meet the evolving needs of regional and global employment markets. We offer work-integrated and service learning, connections to business and industry, and a supportive learning environment.
Our post-baccalaureate and graduate diplomas further enhance opportunities for working professionals to augment their knowledge and skills.
With programs in Arts, Business, Science and Horticulture, Health, Design, Trades and Technology, English language studies, adult upgrading and qualifying studies, KPU has proudly served the South Fraser Region of the Lower Mainland since 1981.
KPU has five campuses:
three in Surrey, and one each in Richmond and Langley, with nearly 1,500 employees and over 20,000 students. We work, study, and live in a region south of the Fraser River which overlaps with the traditional and ancestral lands of the Kwantlen, Musqueam, Katzie, Semiahmoo, Tsawwassen, Qayqayt and Kwikwetlem peoples. We thank them for sharing their land and resources with us as we undertake our work as a polytechnic university.
KPU is seeking an Associate Vice President, Academic. This position serves as the principal deputy for the Office of the Provost in all matters of academic administration and assists in the overall management and performance of the academic portfolio. The position provides direct advice to the academic administrators reporting to the Provost on matters and issues that relate to academic planning, administration, policy and governance.
The AVPA is collaborative and works with academic leaders from across the institution to ensure that strategic goals of the Academic Plan are achieved. This position will also interact with stakeholders to ensure the quality of programming; alignment of programming with resources; the quality of teaching and academic support services for students; and the alignment of academic programming with the needs of current and prospective students.
This role reports to Provost & Vice President, Academic, has a broad range of responsibilities in all areas under the Provosts portfolio, and the role is supported by an Administrative Assistant. This is a senior academic administrator appointment that is for a five-year term, with the possibility of renewal for an additional five-year term, subject to satisfactory review.
Want to know more?
Click below to view the full position profile:
Executive Profile - AVP Academic
Who are we looking for?
- A proven track record of leading cross-functional teams in planning and review, budget development, academic organization, and administration.
- Demonstrated ability to lead significant change, mentor and develop others, and engage a broad range of people in pursuit of organizational vision and goals.
- Understanding of the value and supports needed to enhance the level of research activities at a teaching-focused Polytechnic University.
- Demonstrated knowledge and skills in pedagogy and educational leadership as well as educational practices, issues and trends. Attuned to current developments in advanced learning design and technology.
- Ability to foster a culture of excellence, continuous learning, inclusiveness and innovation.
- In-depth knowledge of the post-secondary organizational and policy environment, with relevant experience in academic administration.
- Knowledge of the role of the Provost.
- Must be familiar with academic organizational culture and administration, including human resources, policy development and implementation.
- Demonstrated superior written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to engage in the discussion, analysis and development of policy.
- Successful track record in working with others, either individually, as a team player or as a leader to accomplish goals, objectives, and desired outcomes through dialogue, collaboration and negotiation.
- Strong business and financial acumen and an ability to foster a culture of timely and evidence-based decision making, accountability, and entrepreneurialism.
- Proven track record of working collaboratively in a multi-union environment.
- Superior listening skills with an accessible, consultative management style.
- A high degree of political acuity, diplomacy and tact is required to deal with all issues in a balanced and fair manner.
- A high level of integrity, credibility, sound judgment, and resourcefulness is required for decision making and problem-solving complex issues.
- Demonstrated inter-cultural understanding and a commitment to equity and diversity.
- Intercampus travel is required, therefore possession of a valid driver’s license and access to a vehicle is necessary.
- Willingness to travel nationally and internationally.
What education & experience should you have?
- Doctorate required.
- A minimum of 5 years of relevant post-secondary leadership/administrative experience.
- A minimum of five to seven (5-7) years of University faculty experience.
- Experience in a complex, unionized, public sector organization.
KPU is a multi-campus institution, frequent travel between campuses will be required. The Office of the Associate Vice President, Academic is currently located in Surrey, BC.
Ready to Apply?
To apply for this role, please email your cover letter and resume by April 3, 2020 to email@example.com with the subject line in the following format:
Last Name – First Name, Competition Number xx-xx, Position Title.
For example, “Doe-John, Competition Number 20-XXX, AVP, Academic”.
Kwantlen Polytechnic University welcomes and encourages applications from women, members of racialized groups/visible minorities, Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation, and persons of any gender identity or gender expression. If you require an accommodation through our hiring process, please include your request in the application email.
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.
We thank all applicants for their interest in employment with KPU. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Kwantlen Polytechnic University is committed to protecting the safety and welfare of employees, students, and the general public, and upholding the reputation and integrity of the University. For this reason, final applicants will be asked to undergo a background check.