The Macaulay Child Development Centre is a multi-service, child care and family support agency.
Established in 1932 as a non-profit, charitable organization, Macaulay promotes the optimal development of children in partnership with their family and community.
Macaulay programs share a common commitment to prevention, early intervention and inclusion of children with special needs.
Please explore our website to discover more about our programs - www.macaulaycentre.org
Early Childhood Educator
(Permanent Full Time)
COMPETITION NUMBER: E20-01-34
START DATE/TERM: Immediate
HOURS PER DAY: 7 hours per Day
REPORTS TO: Supervisor, Warren Park Child Care Centre
Develops and leads the implementation of high quality developmentally appropriate programs for children to facilitate their physical, social, emotional and cognitive growth. Leads the implementation of programs and activities that facilitate the inclusion and integration of children with special needs. Supports a team environment in the classroom and the Centre. This position is currently based at the Warren Park Child Care.
· Plan and organize a safe environment and supervise children to protect their safety and personal well-being at all times while in care. Make sure equipment and physical environment is maintained free of safety or health hazards.
- Plan, execute and evaluate daily programming using the curriculum and approach approved by the agency to promote children’s optimal emotional, cognitive and physical development. Encourage active learning to build self-esteem in an inclusive and respectful environment. Facilitate planned and spontaneous experiences.
- Observe children’s strengths, areas of challenge, emerging skills and interests. Plan, implement, evaluate and revise programming to meet individual and group needs. Collaborate with other staff as applicable (e.g. Assistant Teacher, Resource Teacher)
- Demonstrate positive adult/child interaction, use effective and appropriate communication with children, promote children’s independence and problem solving skills, build children’s confidence, assist children with understanding and dealing with the consequences of their behaviour and model mutual respect and kindness
- Communicate sensitively and appropriately with parents/families. Provide meaningful feedback and information regarding their child’s learning and development, emerging skills and interests and the purpose of activities
- Liaise with other agencies and individuals to support children’s progress and success (e.g. Schools, Special Needs Consultants)
- Support the team to effectively manage children’s medication schedule and allergies
- Early Childhood Education degree/diploma or equivalent and experience working with families and children, including children with special needs
- Experience and demonstrated ability to deliver inclusive programming to children with special needs
- Member in good standing with the College of Early Childhood Educators
- Strong working knowledge of the ELECT, High Scope curriculum and program planning based on an inclusion model respectful of all children’s abilities
- Good written and verbal communication skills and excellent listening skills
- Computer literacy required together with proficiency using Microsoft Office Suite, Internet and email
- Demonstrated ability to build and maintain effective work partnerships with parents/families, colleagues and service providers of diverse backgrounds, abilities and identities
- Ability to communicate effectively in more than one language a definite asset
- Acceptable Vulnerable Police Record Check.
- Current Standard First Aid certification and appropriate medical and immunization record.
SALARY: Competitive Salary and Benefits.
THIS POSITION IS WITHIN THE BARGAINING UNIT.
Interested candidate should apply quoting competition number and position title on or before March 17, 2020.
Macaulay Child Development Centre thanks all applicants for their interest in our organization; however, only those selected for interview will be contacted.
The Macaulay Child Development Centre offers accommodation for applicants with disabilities in its recruitment process. If you are contacted regarding a career opportunity, please advise if you require accommodation.
This document is available in alternate formats upon request.
The Macaulay Child Development Centre is committed to service and employment equity.
Reference ID: E20-01-33
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent