PURPOSE AND KEY FOCUS
The purpose of the Teacher’s Aide is to support students as directed by the classroom teacher.
The Teacher’s Aide supports the classroom teacher in activities inside and outside the classroom. This position supports students in their educational programs and in an inclusive learning environment.
He/she may need to support children to stay on task and/or complete work despite a wide range of learning, physical or behavioural difficulties.
This term position ends on or before June 30, 2023.
Reports to the Classroom Teacher.
JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assist teachers with organization of material and lesson preparation
- Assist teachers with small group instruction under the direction of the classroom teacher
- Provide one to one support for students in literacy and math
- Assist in managing classroom expectations through positive reinforcement
- Be a positive role model for behaviour; practice respectful student/adult interactions
- Supervise outside play at recess and lunch, while on fieldtrips, and assist in other supervision duties as required
- Manage incidents involving students to ensure children have a safe and secure environment
- Clear schoolyard of debris to ensure student safety
- Develop and maintain a good working relationship with parents
- Perform other duties as required
- Attend staff meetings and professional development day training
- Communicate to educators any pertinent information regarding children, parents, staff, program etc. including incident and first aid reporting
- Communicate with the Head Teacher/Classroom Teacher regarding assigned students
- Type, file, and duplicate materials
- Participate in community events as requested
- Performs all duties and responsibilities in accordance with Splatsin policies and procedures
- Grade 12 diploma
- Current First Aid/CPR certificate or willing to obtain
- No experience necessary
- Experience working with elementary aged students preferred
- Experience working with First Nations communities
Competencies (KSAs & Desired Attributes)
- Ability to work within a team and independently
- Ability to listen and demonstrate empathy
- Experience working with confidential information
- Effective verbal and written communication
- Ability to work as a part of the instructional team
- Possess cultural awareness and sensitivity
- Ability to exercise tact and diplomacy
- Honest, trustworthy, and respectful
- Energetic and enthusiastic
- Computers use, specifically MS Word and MS Excel is an asset
The Teacher’s Aide will have to spend long hours standing and/or sitting while helping students. The
Teacher’s Aide may also have to do some lifting of supplies and materials from time to time.
The Teacher’s Aide may have to manage several students at one time and may be interrupted frequently to meet the needs of individual students. The Teacher’s Aide may find the environment to be busy and noisy and will need excellent stress and time management skills. There will be some exposure to varying weather conditions as outside supervision is required.
Sensory demands include use of the computer, learning aids, and speaking much of the time.
The Teacher’s Aide deals with a variety of student behaviours and needs; maintaining a calm, respectful yet firm demeanor while maintaining compassion will require cognitive effort.
Commensurate with experience
Pursuant to section 16 of the Canadian Human Rights Act, preference may be given to applicants
of aboriginal ancestry.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: From $19.00 per hour
- Dental care
- Disability insurance
- Extended health care
- Life insurance
- RRSP match
- Vision care
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Enderby, BC: reliably commute or plan to relocate before starting work (required)
Expected start date: 2022-09-06