IMAGINE a hospital where everyone is committed to excellence. We did. We are. From boardroom to bedside, we go above and beyond to offer the best and safest patient care. At North York General Hospital (NYGH), we put our patients first in everything we do. We are achieving a new standard of excellence in integrated patient-centered care. and as one of Canada's leading community academic hospitals, we are building on our academic foundation through enhanced education, research and innovation. As part of our dynamic team, you too can stand out and be amazing! At NYGH, our team is making a world of difference. NYGH has recently been ranked the #2 Hospital in Canada by Newsweek.
Unit Coordinator, Oncology/Palliative/Medicine Unit
Your goal in this position is to work in partnership with the interdisciplinary unit based team, other teams across the hospital and external partners (including the MOHLTC, LHIN, CCACs and other healthcare facilities, both acute care and Long Term Care). Your role also will provide leadership in rapidly changing patient situations and is an autonomous professional who works independently and interdependently supporting the health care team. You will act as a resource to patients, families and members of the care team by providing consultation in situations where advanced nursing expertise is required; providing advice and guidance to other health care providers regarding complex patient care matters, planning, and problem solving. You also have great interpersonal skills, and you effortlessly connect with physicians, staff, patients, and families.This position supports the hospital’s academic mandate by advancing care through teaching and learning and/or transforming care through research and innovation. This position contributes to the shared responsibility of ensuring health and safety policies are followed to provide for a healthy environment for patients, staff, physicians, volunteers and families.
On a practical level, you will
- Provide day to day assistance for staff nurses, inter-professional team
- Participate in Unit based and corporate committees
- Conduct research, create presentations and poster relevant to the unit and program
- Develop systems and processes, in partnership with the team, for effective unit functioning
- Assist in the implementation and evaluation of targets, goals and objectives as identified both internally and externally
- Support staff in utilizing critical thinking skills in resolving clinical and administrative issues
- Provide direction and guidance to all members of the health care team, patients and their families, groups and organizations and collaborate with the health care team members to plan for the care of patients and families
- Engage in evidence-based practice and may initiate changes to improve the quality of patient care as appropriate (including the planning, implementation and evaluation of the introduction of ‘best practice’)
- Possess a valid Certificate of Competence from the college of Nurses of Ontario
- Baccalaureate in Nursing, Health studies or administration, masters in nursing preferred
- 3-5 years of experience in an Acute Care Setting
- 3-5 years leadership experience (Charge Nurse)
- Teaching experience preferred
- Oncology-palliative experience preferred
Bilingualism in French/English an asset
What We Offer
Working at NYGH means working with a dynamic team of fellow healthcare providers, staff, and volunteers in one of Canada’s leading hospitals. This is a Full Time Temporary position, 75 hours bi-weekly, with required 8 hours day shifts, on the Oncology/Palliative/Med Unit. We offer a highly competitive total compensation package which may include benefits, pension, vacation pay, or pay in lieu of benefits, when applicable. If you were searching for more reasons to consider joining the wonderful team at NYGH, check out some features of our Total Rewards package by visiting nygh.on.ca
How to Apply
Think you're the right person for the job? Here's your first chance to show us why:
Ensure to meet the deadline - only applications received by the closing date will be considered.
We will review all applications and will contact those selected for an interview.
At North York General, we are committed to fostering an inclusive and accessible environment. We are dedicated to building a workforce that reflects the diversity of the community in which we live, including those with disabilities. North York General is committed to providing accommodations in all parts of the hiring process. If you require an accommodation, we will work with you to meet your needs.